7970 Luxcore

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
VFX'd

7970 Luxcore

Post by VFX'd »

Hi, new to Luxcore, I was guided here as I have a AMD Tahiti card (7970). I did a bit of searching in the forums to see if my question was answered elsewhere, and found reference to SLG(?) Anyway, my issue is that with the current version, I had to go through a couple of steps to even get my GPU recognised, and even then I experience hangs and v.slow response if not crashes. i.e the viewport rendering seemed to crash the app, an actual f12 render hung blender for at least 5 mins on simply rendering a cube and one light.

Can anyone advise on how to optimise Luxcore for my GPU? How do I go to SLG (if that is the answer). Many thanks in advance from a very frustrated 7970 owning blender user!
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: 7970 Luxcore

Post by Dade »

VFX'd wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:29 am an actual f12 render hung blender for at least 5 mins on simply rendering a cube and one light.
This is due to AMD driver compiling GPU code, it happens only once per render engine type if you are using LuxCoreRender v2.4 or v2.5.
VFX'd wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:29 am Can anyone advise on how to optimise Luxcore for my GPU?
OS used ? LuxCore version used ?

AMD has dropped the support for your GPU in its driver a while ago. Your best hope is to download and install LuxCoreRender v2.3 (the last version with conditional compilation). It is the only version that may vaguely work on your GPU.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
VFX'd

Post by VFX'd »

Fantastic, thanks. I'll seek out the older version. I'm on Windoze 10, latest version of Luxcore (2.4)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

VFX'd wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:42 am latest version of Luxcore (2.4)
To further elaborate:

v2.4 has one single kernel version compiled only once.

v2.3 has many hundred of different kernel versions tailored for the scene you are rendering. So v2.3 requires a kernel recompilation pretty much every time you edit your scene. However, simpler your scene and simpler is the kernel to compile so you may be able to render simple/medium scenes with v2.3 and the HD7970.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
VFX'd

Post by VFX'd »

Right yes, I am discovering that I can't get it to install in Blender. Is it a standalone product that I need to send files to in order to render? Or is there a Blender specific download for version 2.3 which I can't find?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

VFX'd

Post by VFX'd »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:36 pm It's here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... xcore_v2.3
Great, thanks!