The Firefly Question

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Theo_Gottwald

The Firefly Question

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

There seem to be Scenes, where the Fireflies do not go away, no matter how many Samples you throw on them.
The Denoiser removes them later - yes. But ... are there some common Tricks how to avoid them or remove them?
Fireflies.jpg
Example.
Poolballs.blend
(895.23 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
zeealpal

Re: The Firefly Question

Post by zeealpal »

Hi Theo,

Basically what your trying to render is called a Specular-Diffuse-Specular (SDS) path. This can't be rendered properly by light tracing or bidirectional (although might tracing may be useful for other areas of a scene). If the lamp has an intersectable area some do get rendered, but that is the noise that you see and doesn't really go away.

As you have ticked, the Caustic Cache with update is how to render this scene, the lower the lookup-radius the sharper the caustics, but the more photons/updates you need to clear the noise.

I would recommend adding a solidify modifier to the container, as well as rendering to .png not an .mp4.
Theo_Gottwald

Re: The Firefly Question

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

Hallo Zeepal, thats a lot for one post.
And you also told me how to get it sharper which would had been my next question otherwise.
I will try that.
Thanks for the answer and the tipps.
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.