Add option to not consider light tracing samples for batch.haltspp?

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Add option to not consider light tracing samples for batch.haltspp?

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Hi,

I think it would make sense to add an option to not consider samples from light tracing (hybrid backforward) when checking the haltspp condition.
In the Blender addon, I would enable this option if the "cache-friendly" or "out-of-core" sampling patterns are used. Currently it is impossible to set a sensible haltspp condition if these sampling patterns are used together with light tracing - for example, if the user selects out-of-core, sets it to do 1024 samples per pixel per pass, and then sets the halt samples to 1024, the result will be an image that is only rendered about halfway.
juangea
Donor
Donor

Re: Add option to not consider light tracing samples for batch.haltspp?

Post by juangea »

Couldn’t that lead to flickering in animation?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:46 pm I think it would make sense to add an option to not consider samples from light tracing (hybrid backforward) when checking the haltspp condition.
In the Blender addon, I would enable this option if the "cache-friendly" or "out-of-core" sampling patterns are used. Currently it is impossible to set a sensible haltspp condition if these sampling patterns are used together with light tracing - for example, if the user selects out-of-core, sets it to do 1024 samples per pixel per pass, and then sets the halt samples to 1024, the result will be an image that is only rendered about halfway.
My idea is to add (in v2.5) the support for samples/pixel halt condition with 2 parameters:

- 1 parameters => works like now
- 2 parameters => one halt condition for eye tracing and one for light tracing. if a value is 0, it is ignored.

So you can set a eye+light tracing stop condition or a separate eye and/or light tracing condition. Pretty much all possible combination.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Martini

Post by Martini »

Dade wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:55 am My idea is to add (in v2.5) the support for samples/pixel halt condition with 2 parameters:

- 2 parameters => one halt condition for eye tracing and one for light tracing. if a value is 0, it is ignored.

So you can set a eye+light tracing stop condition or a separate eye and/or light tracing condition. Pretty much all possible combination.
Sounds good! I am waiting for this also :D

I am hoping that once one of the stop conditions is met, it will only terminate that render engine, and let the other one continue until it also hits its own stop condition?
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5995WX 64-Cores | 2x Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI | 256GB Kingston Server Premier ECC Unbuffered DDR4
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Martini wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:16 pm I am hoping that once one of the stop conditions is met, it will only terminate that render engine, and let the other one continue until it also hits its own stop condition?
No, it will continue until both are met but the result is pretty match the same.
Martini

Post by Martini »

Dade wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:03 pm No, it will continue until both are met but the result is pretty match the same.
OK, I can live with that ;)
ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI | 256GB Kingston Server Premier ECC Unbuffered DDR4
juangea
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

I think that he means that if Eye rays are put to 512 samples and Light tracing is put at 128 samples, light racing will stop rendering so every frame inside an animation will have 512 eye samples and 128 light tracing samples, theoretically avoiding flickering between frames :)
Martini

Post by Martini »

juangea wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:16 pm I think that he means that if Eye rays are put to 512 samples and Light tracing is put at 128 samples, light racing will stop rendering so every frame inside an animation will have 512 eye samples and 128 light tracing samples, theoretically avoiding flickering between frames :)
Yes, you are right.

But ideally we will also eventually get an option to manually specify the average luminance (in the same way that we can specify the clamping value) and then that may become a thing of the past :D
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:55 am My idea is to add (in v2.5) the support for samples/pixel halt condition with 2 parameters:

Sounds good.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

v2.5 has now the support for 1 or 2 parameters as described in my previous post.