Few words about Radeon ProRender Pro's and Con's

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
Theo_Gottwald

Few words about Radeon ProRender Pro's and Con's

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

I have yesterday updated to the newest Blender version and at that chance also installed the RadeonPro Render.

So here is what i like and what not. For test-rendering i just rendered a C60-Atom from the PDB-Database.
It's free for download here and works with any Graphics card.

Now the Likes:
3. Tiled-Rendering: BIG-LIKE: ALL Render Devices, CPU and GPU's can be selected and will then render in the same TILE.
The advantage is that you do not have the situation, that the GPU is already done, and the CPU's try hard to get each their tiles done.
At this point you can see that the concept is well thought from the developers.

4. BIG-LIKE: A complete, User friendly Material Library is already included. Each Material already comes with a pre-Rendered Preview.
This is very user-friendly for beginners. I like the idea. (See Picture)

5. The "Shaded Render" in the Preview Mode looks sometimes better then the Final Render mode. But i t seems to be only usable in the viewport. There seem to be no "Worbench Render Mode". Its similar in Blender sometimes when Evee looks better then Cycles.

6. Works with my NVIDIA Graphicscards no problems.

7. PLUS: Is very responsive at any time at high resolution Output. The Render window can anytime be resized, or zoomed.
Which is currently not the case with Luxcore-Render.

No the Dis-Likes:
1. For larger resolutions like 9000x9000 i must choose "Tiled Rendering" otherwise it will immediately kill and exit Blender.
The same happens if I set "Render Quality" to Medium.
2020-06-27 07_29_28-Blender_ [F__00_S-DB_01_Blender_02_Scenes_C60_RAdon Pro Render FIles_DT3.blend].png
2020-06-27 07_50_25-Blender.png
More InDetail Infos on RPR
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
Snowcarver

Re: Few words about Radeon ProRender Pro's and Con's

Post by Snowcarver »

This one is soooo slow in interiors.. Not for me.
Theo_Gottwald

Re: Few words about Radeon ProRender Pro's and Con's

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

In my tests on simple Molecule-Scenes, where i rendered the equal Scene with Luxcore and Radeon-Render in 8350x8350 Resolution and same amount of Samples (But not sure i had all settings in Luxcore perfect esp. caches), Radeon Render was not even twice as fast but also used only a quarter of the Memory (See in Task Manager). However i have use Tiled Rendering because the other crashed.
So it seems to depend on the Scene which you choose for what.
For Interior Renderings you have your library with Materials and you know the lights ... so you are a Pro already. So why should you switch?
The Radeon is not optimized for Interior rendering.
Its however a simple and fast tool for beginners because it is very beginner friendly about the Materials and possibly uses less resources at least in my tests. Its also very responsive in any resolution.
More test todays showed here that it tends to make Fireflies under unknown circumstances and the hair- and Particle-features are not very developed.
Details in the video. Here is a Test from CG Geek
Test from 2018 /CG Geek

This video is newer ans also compares with Luxrender and other engines (did not yet watch it)
Blender Rendering AddOns

Rendered with Radeon Render Image
Rendered with Luxcore-Render: Image
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.