Question on emissive plastic

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Lights_and_Shadows

Question on emissive plastic

Post by Lights_and_Shadows »

Like the title says :P

I noticed with some of the LEGO materials I've been experimenting with, there are some that have some degree of emission under UV lighting and such. I know we can't do that with LuxCore, but in direct light they do have emission as well, like so:
Screenshot_1.png
Is there something special I need to do or is it simply a matter of adding an Emission component? I don't want to turn it into a full-on light source, it's more of a volumetric effect from what I am gathering. Maybe I'm wrong? :?
Windows 7 Professional, x64
Intel Core i7 6700K, 4GHz
EVGA GeForce GT740 Superclocked, 4GB GDDR5
32GB RAM DDR4 (approx. 80GB with pagefile active)
RAID 0 configured HDD setup (2x 500GB Seagate Barracudas)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Question on emissive plastic

Post by Dade »

Lights_and_Shadows wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:50 pm Is there something special I need to do or is it simply a matter of adding an Emission component? I don't want to turn it into a full-on light source, it's more of a volumetric effect from what I am gathering. Maybe I'm wrong? :?
You can add emission to the surface or to the volume, in both cases, it will cost nearly nothing because it will not affect direct light process (assuming the item has several hundred of triangles).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Lights_and_Shadows

Re: Question on emissive plastic

Post by Lights_and_Shadows »

Neat, thanks Dade :)

I'll try it on the volume, see how it looks

EDIT: Alright, I think just doing emission on the surface is best. Volume-based emission for this is extremely overpowering.
Windows 7 Professional, x64
Intel Core i7 6700K, 4GHz
EVGA GeForce GT740 Superclocked, 4GB GDDR5
32GB RAM DDR4 (approx. 80GB with pagefile active)
RAID 0 configured HDD setup (2x 500GB Seagate Barracudas)