Performance Radeon Pro vs Nvidia RTX

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Storen

Performance Radeon Pro vs Nvidia RTX

Post by Storen »

I came across some benchmarks on www.cgchannel.com from 2019

Radeon Pro WX8200 performs twice better with Cycles and twice worse with LuxCore. I wonder why is that?
Why Radeon Pro performs so miserably with LuxCore?
Attachments
180819_NvidiaGPUGroupTest2019__Cycles_03.jpg
180819_NvidiaGPUGroupTest2019__LuxCore_03.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Performance Radeon Pro vs Nvidia RTX

Post by Dade »

Have Cycles tests been done with OpenCL ? I mean I flip the question: the Cycles results look very inconsistent to me and it would not be a surpirse because Cycles OpenCL has more than one problem and OpenCL is a bit gimped on NVIDIA.

If you look at LuxCore results, the WX8200 is slightly faster than the 1080TI and slower than the Titan: it is the kind of result I would expect.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Storen

Post by Storen »

Well, it doesn't say but I assume the Cycles test is done with CUDA.

How do you expect Radeon Pro WX 9100 would perform compared to 2080TI?

That's interesting for the MAC version since Apple doesn't support Nvidia GPUs.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Storen wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:44 pm Well, it doesn't say but I assume the Cycles test is done with CUDA.
Cycles with CUDA Vs Cycles with OpenCL isn't exactly an "apple to apple" comparison. If you want to compare only the hardware, you should use the same software otherwise it doesn't look like a fair comparison to me.
Storen wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:44 pm How do you expect Radeon Pro WX 9100 would perform compared to 2080TI?
Harsh version: Vega is the only good GPU, for computing, AMD has produced in many years. Basically, since HD7970 (amazing GPU), AMD has recycled only old architectures or stretched low-end/mobile designs. Vega had its set of faults (probably hot and expansive to produce) but was good too. I would expect to be competitive with a 2080TI.

Polite version: left as exercise :D
Storen wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:44 pm That's interesting for the MAC version since Apple doesn't support Nvidia GPUs.
Apple doesn't support OpenCL or CUDA too so they may be other consideration in play for Macs (i.e. just find something that work).
Storen

Post by Storen »

Interesting, I wasn't aware Apple doesn't support CUDA and OpenCL. Shame... I thought with Thunderbolt 3 and eGPU finally MACs could be used for rendering. Video editing software like DaVinci Resolve can be accelerated on MAC with eGPU. I've always assumed Resolve uses OpenCL.

According to Tom's Hardware RX Vega 64 outperforms slightly 2080 but it is seriously behind 2080TI.
Attachments
radeon.png
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Storen wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:33 pm Interesting, I wasn't aware Apple doesn't support CUDA and OpenCL.
Apple has dropped OpenCL support in favor of Metal and NVIDIA has dropped CUDA MacOS support with CUDA v11. They are still used but mostly relaying on old drivers, etc. They are likely to fade with time (i.e. Apple will force people to not use them with newer OS versions).
Storen wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:33 pm According to Tom's Hardware RX Vega 64 outperforms slightly 2080 but it is seriously behind 2080TI.
Radeon VII is still a Vega GPU (Vega 20), RX Vega 64 should be a "Vega 10 XT" GPU. As far as I remember, "Vega 20" was manufactured on a better fabrication node than "Vega 10 XT" but is pretty much the same architecture. Wiki seems to confirm what I remember: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_RX ... e_graphics
Storen

Post by Storen »

It seems that Vega20 is the best GPU for LuxCore at the moment. Too bad ATI discontinued them.

Do you expect when CUDA is implemented in the next version of LuxCore, 2080TI(CUDA) would perform faster than Vega20(OpenCL)?
Snowcarver

Post by Snowcarver »

GTX 1050 only 270 samples for 10 min :(
Such great difference between 1070?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Storen wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:25 am Do you expect when CUDA is implemented in the next version of LuxCore, 2080TI(CUDA) would perform faster than Vega20(OpenCL)?
CUDA is already implemented and available, RTX will be soon too so the advantage in complex scenes should be noticeable.
Storen

Post by Storen »

Dade wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:18 am CUDA is already implemented and available
I meant stable, official release :) The one I downloaded about a week ago was crashing every time I tried to turn on the preview or the renderer so I couldn't test the speed.

If it already runs stable on some machines do you have any impressions on how 2080TI(CUDA) would perform vs Vega20(OpenCL)?
Dade wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:18 amthe advantage in complex scenes should be noticeable
Do you mean 2080TI(CUDA) would seriously outperform Vega20(OpenCL) in complex scenes?

From a user perspective choosing between Nvidia and ATI seems very difficult at the moment. I considered upgrading my hardware with an ATI card, but maybe I should wait a little more... :(