render freezes while opencl kernels are being compiled, luxcore v2.3

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
MorNady

render freezes while opencl kernels are being compiled, luxcore v2.3

Post by MorNady »

Recently I experience a lot of render freezes using Luxcore v2.3 and blender 2.82a
Actually since I use Luxcore about two months ago I experience stability issues (not only while rendering).
This time I experience render freeze at 80% of render attempts, right after the massage "compiling openCL kernels" appears. Rendering with CPU only appears to work fine. Render with OpenCL (GPU+CPU or with GPU only) is problematic. my graphics card is Radeon RX 580 4GB, with latest software version 20.4.2

does anyone else experience problems with this issue?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model B360M H
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F12, 3/14/2019
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product B360M H
BaseBoard Version x.x
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: render freezes while opencl kernels are being compiled, luxcore v2.3

Post by Dade »

For "freeze" do you mean you have to reset the PC ? Or it is a slowdown and than everything works fine after a while ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
MorNady

Post by MorNady »

thanks for the reply,

by freeze I mean that nothing happens, and I have to shut down blender since it does not respont. The computer DOES NOT get stuck. I can still use the mouse, surf the internet, etc. usually the renderer stops on "compiling kernels" for about 1 min. max. now it takes 20 min. and still counting (does not lead anywhere)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

MorNady wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:20 pm by freeze I mean that nothing happens, and I have to shut down blender since it does not respont. The computer DOES NOT get stuck. I can still use the mouse, surf the internet, etc. usually the renderer stops on "compiling kernels" for about 1 min. max. now it takes 20 min. and still counting (does not lead anywhere)
Some OpenCL driver is just rubbish and can take a very long time to compile a kernel (or even never get out of the process).
Try to use v2.4, v2.3 has still conditional compilation and kernels re-compilation is often required when you edit the materials. v2.4 requires a single compilation per installation and type of render engine than the result is always cached.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
MorNady

Post by MorNady »

thanks very much for the reply,
I will try to use v2.4, hopefully I will not encounter this issue again, will keep you updated.
Cheers,
:P
justsum1

Post by justsum1 »

Dade wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:40 pm
MorNady wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:20 pm by freeze I mean that nothing happens, and I have to shut down blender since it does not respont. The computer DOES NOT get stuck. I can still use the mouse, surf the internet, etc. usually the renderer stops on "compiling kernels" for about 1 min. max. now it takes 20 min. and still counting (does not lead anywhere)
Some OpenCL driver is just rubbish and can take a very long time to compile a kernel (or even never get out of the process).
Try to use v2.4, v2.3 has still conditional compilation and kernels re-compilation is often required when you edit the materials. v2.4 requires a single compilation per installation and type of render engine than the result is always cached.
If you dont have anything valuable to offer, just dont reply at all ok?

This is what OP is talking about, and I have the exact same issue (attached file):

How to proceed? It is NOT a driver issue.
Attachments
asdbullshit.jpg
zeealpal

Post by zeealpal »

justsum1 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:39 pm If you dont have anything valuable to offer, just dont reply at all ok?

This is what OP is talking about, and I have the exact same issue (attached file):

How to proceed? It is NOT a driver issue.
Maybe post your console output from Blender, it will show where the export/compilation is getting stuck, then people might be able to help. Here for each OS:
https://blender.stackexchange.com/quest ... -to-a-file

It's funny how rude and demanding people can be on open-source software of which they have paid or contributed nothing :shock: The post you responded to was simply offering an explanation and asking for the OP to try an alternative. Dade happens to be the main developer behind the LuxCore engine, he will know and understand more about LuxCore and GPU rendering than anyone else on this forum.

No need to be disrespectful to anyone.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Yup... and it's most likely just thinking slowly a very deep thought using a single brain cell/ core... grok ;)
justsum1

Post by justsum1 »

Sorry I didn't mean to be disrespectful to the main developer. All I managed to see was some guy saying stuff like "just reinstall your drivers" which I always read everywhere as a solution for every problem. And I'm using my phone so didnt ser who answered... :D and yeah i was being frustrated af

I'll provide some console info next time i open the project
FutureMonopoly

Post by FutureMonopoly »

I have this problem too. Where do I find version 2.4?