Performance cost of a black constantinfinite light

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Performance cost of a black constantinfinite light

Post by Sharlybg »

the thing isn't to have black scene because we want it or like it ;) . it is that if i've no light in my scene and i'm in viewport render mode luxcore shouldn't be bothered at all (no this isn't an error). If there is no light by user error or wanted manipulation the engine should be fine with that.

throwing error like this is even intimadating for new guys and don't give very much confidence in the engine. it is the same as throwing error because there is no material on a surface.
if the default shader is enough for any particular reason this shouldn't throw a huge scaring list of error :mrgreen: at least from my POV ;)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Sharlybg wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:48 pm it is the same as throwing error because there is no material on a surface.
if the default shader is enough for any particular reason this shouldn't throw a huge scaring list of error
In BlendLuxCore I show a warning in this case. I consider this useful for real-world scenes, where it is annoying if you have hundreds of objects, do the final render, only to find that one object was missing a material and is now grey.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

In BlendLuxCore I show a warning in this case. I consider this useful for real-world scenes, where it is annoying if you have hundreds of objects, do the final render, only to find that one object was missing a material and is now grey.
It happen to me to have object without shader. But i always discover them after the render if these one have a visible impact on the final look. i never need to go through the warning list to see it.
sometime i wanted to exploit this warning to make more usefull things for me. For example select the giving mesh/object via the warning list instead guessing where it should be. i don't know if blender allow that.

another thing will be to make the list display foldable (hide) by default. so that when there is a lot of warning it doesn't cover huge space of the panel.

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

another thing will be to make the list display foldable (hide) by default. so that when there is a lot of warning it doesn't cover huge space of the panel.
Oh my bad all that is already possible sorry !
didn't even notice it as i don't check it often.
Great job BTW :D

juangea
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

@kintux I don't have to enlight you, it's a personal opinion, you may have yours, and I have mine :)

But one reason is what B.Y.O.B. said.

Another reason is that we may want to play with the light and start the shot from pitch black situation.
Yes, we could have a super tiny light, but why have such a small value when you may want just to turn off the light, or go from 0 and forget about the actual value and having you to animate at 0.0001 instead of 0.

In the end the thing is to make it transparent to the user, but if I have a scene with 0 lights, I want to get 0 light in the render, not default lighting :)