PATHHW

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

PATHHW

Post by Dade »

Today, I have achieve another major step toward CUDA support: (RT)(TILE)PATHOCL now uses LuxRays for all interactions with the GPUs (i.e it doesn't include any direct call to OpenCL API anymore).

This means the once I have completed the LuxRays support for CUDA, (RT)(TILE)PATHOCL will auto-magically work with CUDA too. So the "OCL" in PATHOCL name is now outdated and it should be replaced with a generic "HW" suffix in the future(i.e. we are going to need some nomenclature change once all this work is finished).

This work is currently on "cuda_rendering" branch.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: PATHHW

Post by lacilaci »

:D just pathGPU contrary to pathCPU should be fine, no?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

lacilaci wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:29 pm :D just pathGPU contrary to pathCPU should be fine, no?
Yes ! i have seen a lot of people thinking that luxcore doesn't support Nvidia card because it is opencl. completely HS thinking but we should care about clear naming.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:29 pm :D just pathGPU contrary to pathCPU should be fine, no?
To be totally accurate, OpenCL supports many type of accelerators: GPUs, CPUs, FPGA, etc. I think you can also run CUDA on CPUs too. So we may need a quite generic name.

P.S. Technically, it is more PathMIMD (Multiple Instructions Multiple Data) Vs. PathSIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data).
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:00 pm
To be totally accurate, OpenCL supports many type of accelerators: GPUs, CPUs, FPGA, etc. I think you can also run CUDA on CPUs too. So we may need a quite generic name.

P.S. Technically, it is more PathMIMD (Multiple Instructions Multiple Data) Vs. PathSIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data).
I understand but lets be realistic here.

People recognize in general gpu and cpu rendering. So if you're on mac-os you will expect metal, win+gtx you will expect cuda, win+rtx you will expect optix, win+amd = vulkan? . If anyone ever expect anthing from opencl i don't know, but name it pathmimd and pathsimd and people will not know what is going on for sure.

Maybe even take it a step further and drop bidir and tilepath, and lets call it LuxGPU and LuxCPU :D
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Code: Select all

PATHXPU
would, could do... ;)
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

I'm with lacilaci.

A simple LUXcpu and LUXgpu is more than enough for everyone.
Than, if you want to be more precise and make culture, it's possible to add any more technical information in the wiki.