Beach Resort - LuxCoreRender 2.4

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
johannes.wilde

Beach Resort - LuxCoreRender 2.4

Post by johannes.wilde »

Hey everyone!
I wanted to share this scene rendered with daily builds of v2.4, because i haven't used LuxCoreRender for quite some time now.
I am really impressed how much usability has improved since v2.2
The One Time OpenCl computation is a game changer!
Setting up lighting and materials for a scene with OpenCl viewport has become much easier.
I wonder if there is a chance to improve texture export times? In this scene it always took about 20 seconds.

I know, there is some noise left in the image, but i was going for an anologue look anyway - and hey, it's just a first test render.
I used Metropolis+Light Tracing +Caustics Cache
Rendered about 1000 Samples in 20 minutes on RTX2080ti

Thanks to all of the developers!
strandtherme02.jpg
chafouin

Re: Beach Resort - LuxCoreRender 2.4

Post by chafouin »

Looks promising!

Any specific reason you are using Metropolis?
johannes.wilde

Post by johannes.wilde »

Thanks.
I'm not very experienced with LuxCore and i strated using Sobol. But it wasn't faster in that scene and i read somewhere, that Metropolis is good in handling Caustics. To be honest, i spent quite a lot of time in tweaking and changing render settings- it's really fun, but sometimes as well overwhelming and yet at some point even too much for me. LuxCore has so many features....*puh* *wow*
I think you can get extraordinary good results with it, but it's not one of this 'hit render and go' renderers, right?
I'll keep on learning and one has to say, that this Forum is very active and a good resource.
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

I am probably not the best to talk about render settings, but caustics will be much faster using Light tracing. Metropolis isn't worth it anymore and is usually worse than Sobol. I like using Random as I get better denoising result, that OpenCL Sobol has a weird stretched pattern that doesn't denoise well unless you use a lot of samples.
johannes.wilde

Post by johannes.wilde »

Cool, thanks!
I give it a try over the weekend. Hope i learn something from it!
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

johannes.wilde wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:56 am Hey everyone!
... it's just a first test render.

I used Metropolis+Light Tracing +Caustics Cache

strandtherme02.jpg
Hi j.wilde

Very interesting backlight render.

First render, hã?

:D

I enjoyed the picture a while, different trees, changing deepness of basin, shall dense wave on the water surface, a lonely person in front of the congress building, clearly after work or on weekend evening, steep cliff line in the back with many different trees. Well, the scene doesn't look like a first time set. Rather experienced, in my opinion. 8-)

Good work, really :!:

:arrow: For this kind of backlight 'shot' evening around sun set, I would set easiest parameters. Path, openCL, Sobol adaptive 0.95. All bounces' maximal 4. No cache, no Light tracing. Luxcore Denoiser checked. Pixel Filter none. Output file rather 16 than 8 bit png.

Have fun rendering.

Regards.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
johannes.wilde

Post by johannes.wilde »

Hey, Farbige Welt!
Thanks for your input. Seems like it's a good idea to post some work here - for i learn a lot from the suggestions made by others.
Maybe my phrasing concerning 'first render test' was a little confusing.
It is related to the scene and was meant as something like: It's a lookdev render - no final work.
Of course i'm not a first time Blender- and LuxCoreRender user.
Thanks for your comment!