Luxcore 2.4 Vs Cycles Bench

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Luxcore 2.4 Vs Cycles Bench

Post by Sharlybg »

Just found time to make a little interior archviz Bench comparison between Luxcore 2.4 and Cycles 2.82a.
The test scene was made artificially hard to put pression on both engine. For example the high bounces set of 24 for all path (diffuse/glossy/transmission aka specular). Also the narrow window help to stress both engine radically diferent approach to sky portal (cycles use portal vial manually placed area lamp while Luxcore do it automatically by detecting all opening area of the scene).
At the end apart from the left white shelves where cycles is cleaner Luxcore is way cleaner in all over place (walls / under table & chair / windows area). Luxcore also look more realistic and brighter thanks to its integrated caching engine.
Finally in this test Luxcore show a striking 4X faster render while being nicer.
Luxcore vs Cycles.png

Note that this still feature light traced caustics so it is even brighter than the video one.

Youtube Link :

https://youtu.be/euEtA3RQg0I
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Luxcore 2.4 Vs Cycles Bench

Post by Dade »

If you post this on BlenderArtist, I'm going to need a lot of pop corns, an helmet and a shield...

Between me and you, 24 max. path depth is probably devastating for the way Cycles kernel is written but, in general, I believe Cycles is not suited, nor has been written, to render ArchViz interiors and people using it, for this task, are using the wrong tool.

But people are happy to use Eevee for ArchViz interiors so let's not start a flame and try to live happy ... or, at least, stay alive looking what is happening lately ...
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Sure cycles isn't close to catch Luxcore quality sooner. ;)
BTW with Optix they're already able to cut render time in Half. So something Like E-Cycles (wich is not free) + Optix can match the speed. But not the quality.

Recently more and more people are using Luxcore. The simplification of Blendluxcore to match cycles help a lot. But we still need to keep pushing in every way (speed quality usability features).

Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

@Sharlybg

It's really good to see this comparison. Thank you
PDRA

Post by PDRA »

@Sharlybg Great demonstration!!
I would suggest some minor things in case you are planning to do some more of these.
- It would be good to see a screenshot of the setup on both render setup (and maybe highlighting the main features retouched). I know you clarified it at the beginning but for those who are interested in replicating it, it could be better to add that visual support.
- Even though I understand the challenge of this render (bouncing light in an interior) the overall result still looks a bit unrealistic. I hope you don't get me wrong. You are doing an amazing job with this, but I believe that it could be more impactful to create a stunning scene with some elements that could make stand out lux from any other render engine. Anything related to caustic effects would also add a lot of seasoning to luxcore capabilities perception. For instance, pools, bottles, polished metallic surfaces and so on.
- Also, it could be good to focus the render on some areas to make the viewer pay more attention to certain details. For example, the lighting effect produced in this render near the table at the back corner is beautiful, but is quite "fogged" by the rest of the elements.
- Lastly, doing this with some "very known" scenes would be great to see.

Keep the great work! :D

Regards, saludos!
Pablo
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Thanks for your input. I can understand it. And genuilely think about it before but decide to not show all that. Most the time rendering war share a lot from real war :lol: . And sometime there is so much talk arround render engine battle that lead to more confusion and kind of street battle.

__Thing like why you din't use AO trick to speed up cycles
__ You should not use Gi for lux and compare brute force
__ want the scene so i can redo setting to match or outperform x vs y

People will find any trick to avoid to learn a new system. Just want to make them think about it a minute without raise too much waves.
Also sure the scene can be made more accurate or realistic or detailed but porting all that to another renderer then screencap all and edit all in a video editor require time that i miss most of the time. :mrgreen:
I wanted to do a lux vs octane also so i need to keep all simple to have a chance to finalise (the project was reported too often)

The goal of this is to stimulate some new and advance user to consider the possibilty to try Lux and maybe adopt it.

PDRA

Post by PDRA »

I completely understand your point for the render setup. Also, I don't have any doubt that this takes a lot of time and effort and I really appreciate the work you put on this. To tell you more, the tutorials you have done were quite a favorous wind when I was wondering whether to try Lux :)
However, I wanted to point something that I've learned in my experience. Quality is definitely better than the amount in this area. An accurate impactful eye-catching render will be very difficult to erase from your mind. Again, I'm not saying that this render is not good. What I mean is that it could be good to pay attention to the final overall look rather than the technical advantage aspect that lux definitely has over cycles. For instance, I was checking your Behance portfolio and I saw some amazing shots! It would be great if you use them for this purpose in future videos!
Aside from this, as you said, it takes a lot of time. So that is why it could be better to focus on close-ups (like the one I mentioned in my previous comment)

Regards, saludos!
Pablo
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

There's lot to digest here and a lot that goes into optimizing scenes for each renderer and luxcore is way more demanding on proper scene setup than cycles..

But let's just assume this comparison is as technically fair as it can and you can build a scene for each renderer in the same way.

As you mentioned yourself, cycles-cuda is here 4x slower bruteforcing interior rendering against luxcore with gicache. Now cut the cycles rendering in half on optix/rtx hardware and half again(at least) on e-cycles on rtx and what do you get?

You get cycles(although modified and not free) bruteforcing interior render in the same time as luxcore even with gicache!! And it could be even faster, thats the more interesting takeaway from this test than luxcore being fast with caching imho.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

@Lacilaci
I don't think I've seen anything created in Cycles that comes half close to that nice look that you get in your scenes. Or are we only discussing speed? I prefer that 'look' every time!
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Racleborg wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:27 pm @Lacilaci
I don't think I've seen anything created in Cycles that comes half close to that nice look that you get in your scenes. Or are we only discussing speed? I prefer that 'look' every time!
In many situations you can get a very close looking results. The 'look' is more about preference and workflow.

But yeah, I was talking about just brute force pathtracing speed.