laggy behaviour while in opencl viewport rendering

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
andre

laggy behaviour while in opencl viewport rendering

Post by andre »

Hi guys,
I've recently started testing luxcore, it's an impressive engine!
Congrats for the hard work and everybody involved:)

So far everything is good and pretty straight forward, especially after the new updates in 2.3 RC1.

My only complain is how laggy the whole software becomes while using opencl during viewport rendering.
Renders really fast, but it's just impossible to tweak things while rendering. So much delay.
Switching to CPU, everything works just fine.

Does anybody know how to solve this issue?
I tested this both on a 2080ti and a 1080gtx

thanks,
Andrea
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: laggy behaviour while in opencl viewport rendering

Post by Sharlybg »

Are you rendering and displaying on the same GPU ?
If yes just use a different GPU to render and display. It should solve the issue.

Currently CPU is way smoother. But i recognize Lux GPu viewport is less responssive than some other i have tested.
But CPU can do the trick.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
andre

Post by andre »

Hey,
Yeah using the same.
The problem by switching one GPU to display will be losing the computing power and slapping in an old one just to display will scale down the Vram to the latter.

Really hope this will be fixed. Kind of a game changer to have a very responsive viewport when working with GPUs.

Thanks!
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I also noticed this while playing with the new OpenCL material system in v2.4alpha.
I hope we can improve this for v2.4.
Taka
Donor
Donor

Post by Taka »

Isn't this the answer for this? I too would be really happy if we get the responsive viewport rendering on gpu.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1812
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:21 pm I also noticed this while playing with the new OpenCL material system in v2.4alpha.
This is mostly a driver problem but it may be easy to fix: I expect the lag will be reduced if I send multiple (smaller) batches of work to the GPU instead of a sing large one. This has more overhead but it may allow the driver to inter-live OpenCL and OpenGL work. Empirically, you can verify if this is true by reducing the size of the view port (i.e reducing the total amount of work sent to the GPU.
andre

Post by andre »

Dade wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:16 pm
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:21 pm I also noticed this while playing with the new OpenCL material system in v2.4alpha.
This is mostly a driver problem but it may be easy to fix: I expect the lag will be reduced if I send multiple (smaller) batches of work to the GPU instead of a sing large one. This has more overhead but it may allow the driver to inter-live OpenCL and OpenGL work. Empirically, you can verify if this is true by reducing the size of the view port (i.e reducing the total amount of work sent to the GPU.
Hey guys thanks so much!
I'm glad this can be an easy fix.
Yes, I can confirm by reducing the viewport size performance improves drastically.

thanks,
Andrea
andre

Post by andre »

andre wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:35 am
Dade wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:16 pm
Hey guys thanks so much!
I'm glad this can be an easy fix.
Yes, I can confirm by reducing the viewport size performance improves drastically.

thanks,
Andrea
Sorry, performance improvements are just inside the viewport handling. Operations like, modeling, moving etc get better by reducing the viewport size or making a region.
But unfortunately working on the shader editor or anything else it's still extremely laggy, no improvements.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

andre wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:13 am Sorry, performance improvements are just inside the viewport handling. Operations like, modeling, moving etc get better by reducing the viewport size or making a region.
But unfortunately working on the shader editor or anything else it's still extremely laggy, no improvements.
This is expected, it is not lagging but it is the driver recompiling the kernel. It is what Taka was talking in one of the previous post and it has been fixed in under development v2.4: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1812
andre

Post by andre »

Dade wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:23 am
andre wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:13 am Sorry, performance improvements are just inside the viewport handling. Operations like, modeling, moving etc get better by reducing the viewport size or making a region.
This is expected, it is not lagging but it is the driver recompiling the kernel. It is what Taka was talking in one of the previous post and it has been fixed in under development v2.4: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1812
thanks Dade! glad to hear:)