Luxcore 2.2 with Blender 2.8 WAY brighter than 2.1 with Blender 2.79

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Honeyradiance

Luxcore 2.2 with Blender 2.8 WAY brighter than 2.1 with Blender 2.79

Post by Honeyradiance »

Hello,
I created a scene in Blendluxcore 2.1 on blender 2.79, with lots of light sources, keyframed emission and opacity on materials, and a World Volume with homogenous scattering for mist effect. I was reluctant to switch to Blender 2.8 because of the learning curve for the new interface. But the render farm I use is forcing me to switch to Blendluxcore 2.2 on Blender 2.8 or more. When I opened the file and rendered it the image was WAY too bright. For comparison, I am posting two images. Everything else has been unchanged. I just opened the file. Though this is a different frame, the lighting doesn't change that radically. And I checked other frames and they're all this bright. Though the sample I am posting from Blender 2.79 is at 1000 samples, after 2 hrs of render, I am now at 1178 samples on Blender 2.8 and its not improving at all.
Blender 2.79 Blendluxcore 2.1
Blender 2.79 Blendluxcore 2.1
Blender 2.8 Blendluxcore 2.2
Blender 2.8 Blendluxcore 2.2
Honeyradiance

Re: Luxcore 2.2 with Blender 2.8 WAY brighter than 2.1 with Blender 2.79

Post by Honeyradiance »

How do I normalize blackbody? I do not see anything about blackbody in version 2.1 or nodes emission normalize so I can reproduce the same settings in 2.2. Haven't graduated to 2.3 yet
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

It's surprising that you are getting different brightness with 2.2 as the changes we made will be part of 2.3. Did you download the stable 2.2 or a daily build?

If you can share your scene, I can help you debug it.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I don't remember any broken compatibility in v2.2, and there's no mention of it in the release logs.
I would try to disable lights until you found the culprit, it's probably only affecting one light type.
Honeyradiance

Post by Honeyradiance »

For some reason I opened my file again and tried rendering in 2.2 with Bidir and everything seemed fine. Must have been a button I pressed somewhere along the way. But now I'm trying 2.3 beta in blender 2.82 and its way DARKER. Might as well move forward as far as I can into newest, most experimental versions because Render Street render farm has a habit of dumping support for older versions REAL QUICK. I'm going to check the posts on here again about 2.3 beta; I know there was a lot of material on it. Something about luminance / blackbody being off or on by default in one or the other. Where do I change that again? Global settings? world? Or each material?

At any rate, thanks for the help, feedback, and suggestions
chafouin

Post by chafouin »

Blackbody material node has a normalized checkbox that you may want to uncheck.

Tonemapping in the camera is not set to auto brightness by default anymore, you have to change the gain or use camera settings.

The lights should have slightly different intensity behaviors if not using Artistic.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Breaking changes are listed in the release notes, see for example viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1805