Triplanar mapping / stochastic texturing

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Triplanar mapping / stochastic texturing

Post by lacilaci »

By the way, your example on my testscene looks very good. I hope to see most of my meshes as non-problemaic,this issue regarding.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:16 pm This only makes sense thought for the bump mapping problem, seam. How can you make sure a randomized texture won't end up at projection seam and then another one will be sampled from different projection creating a seam?
They are blended, there is no sudden transition. The seams are a consequence of lack of surface parametrization (i.e. UV-less) as I have explained before. It is something just shown by the usage of triplanar mapping (it is not a consequence of triplanar texture).

Anyway stick to the current problem, does the new UV-less rendering look right: posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=19285#pr19280
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
juangea
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

Personally I think it looks ok :)

But @lacilaci should know better how it should look :)
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

You need to make a build Dade. In the morning I'll test it on few objects and see if it's a non-issue
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Are there some issues with this? There's no new build aside some fixes by Simon I think.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:26 pm Are there some issues with this? There's no new build aside some fixes by Simon I think.
I had to write the OpenCL code.

I pushed the source with UV-less bump map support for triplanar texture. It is enabled by default so you can try it with the current version of BlendLuxCore. However you need to use a specific node setup:

uvless.jpg

You must:

1) set the bump height to 100cm so BlendLuxCore will use a scale of 1 (to neutralize the node BlendLuxCore add under the hood);

2) than you must use a Multiply node to really scale the bump map intensity. Values are similar to usual bump map, something like 0.01 will work however the bump mapping is a bit stronger so you may have to adjust the value.

This is a test, we can than implement this support as a flag in BlendLuxCore "Bump" node (and BlendLuxCore can take care of the above stuff): something like "Enable UV-less".
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:55 pm
lacilaci wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:26 pm Are there some issues with this? There's no new build aside some fixes by Simon I think.
I had to write the OpenCL code.

I pushed the source with UV-less bump map support for triplanar texture. It is enabled by default so you can try it with the current version of BlendLuxCore. However you need to use a specific node setup:

uvless.jpg

You must:

1) set the bump height to 100cm so BlendLuxCore will use a scale of 1 (to neutralize the node BlendLuxCore add under the hood);

2) than you must use a Multiply node to really scale the bump map intensity. Values are similar to usual bump map, something like 0.01 will work however the bump mapping is a bit stronger so you may have to adjust the value.

This is a test, we can than implement this support as a flag in BlendLuxCore "Bump" node (and BlendLuxCore can take care of the above stuff): something like "Enable UV-less".
Ok, thanks for this. But it needs to be much more straightforward. This even more emphasizes the need to have this embedded in image node. Like an UV/check (user input check for cases where uv exists but is shit - "has proper UV's = boolean yes/not check) and then auto enable scaling and maybe even enable multiplier for basic scaling and add tooltip that for advanced scaling a proper uv's are needed and a separate 3Dmapping node...
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

So, does it work ?
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:44 pmSo, does it work ?
Suzanne looks OK.
Triplanar.jpg

Q: Is there any control to manipulate the overlay blending like it can be done with Cycles (Blend value)?
ie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit
Ah, the Bump seems to have no effect where textures blend.

- Bump only
Triplanar_Bump.jpg

- Bump + Diffuse
Triplanar_Bump+Diffuse.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit2
Used another, different set of textures from CC0textures & well, this time everything looks OK.
e.g.
- Bump only
Triplanar_test-OK_LC.jpg
Attachments
Triplanar_test_LC.7z
(4.78 MiB) Downloaded 202 times
Last edited by kintuX on Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

So far I've been trying to keep main models with UV to avoid errors. Will test few things and how they look with deleted uvs afterwards tomorrow and report back