Any more tricks to sampling?

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Any more tricks to sampling?

Post by lacilaci »

I'm thinking if there are any tricks to speed up sampling furthermore, clean up noise, further remove fireflies. Something like blue noise dithering or scrambling distance etc... Or do we have to wait first for optix port?
juangea
Donor
Donor

Re: Any more tricks to sampling?

Post by juangea »

I don’t think scrambling would be a good idea for Lux, at least for how it works, PhotonGI is a much better solution than scrambling, and scrambling could enter some artifacts.
However Blue Noise Dithering for the sampling patterns would be a super welcome addition, and I’m sure it will speed up noise cleaning and improve the subjective noise feeling in the results, and will also help denoiser to get a much more stable result :)
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

juangea wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:19 am I don’t think scrambling would be a good idea for Lux, at least for how it works, PhotonGI is a much better solution than scrambling, and scrambling could enter some artifacts.
However Blue Noise Dithering for the sampling patterns would be a super welcome addition, and I’m sure it will speed up noise cleaning and improve the subjective noise feeling in the results, and will also help denoiser to get a much more stable result :)
I agree, currently denoiser goes crazy in animations if the noise isn't very well distributed.
juangea
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

@dade do you think it's possible to implement blue noise dithering for Sobol?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

juangea wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:10 am @dade do you think it's possible to implement blue noise dithering for Sobol?
here's some arnold abstract.
https://www.arnoldrenderer.com/research ... stract.pdf

EDIT: what's interesting, is that it removes low frequency noise (what can throw off denoising a lot!) but not high frequency noise, so OIDN should not have problems with this. Not sure about bias or conflict with other features. But for animations it looks very attractive to have controlled noise in low samples.
juangea
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

We use it in Cycles, and it's works flawlessly :)