Static Noise in LuxCore

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
plasmapeppers

Static Noise in LuxCore

Post by plasmapeppers »

Would it be possible to have static OpenCL noise in LuxCore? This would be a huge advantage for denoising. Examples from an engine that has static noise as an option for GPU rendering are attached in the zip, forum wouldn't let me upload MP4s. This makes rendering so much faster since the flickering due to denoise doesn't manifest and as such samples can be set to be very low.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Static Noise in LuxCore

Post by Dade »

plasmapeppers wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:55 pm Would it be possible to have static OpenCL noise in LuxCore? This would be a huge advantage for denoising. Examples from an engine that has static noise as an option for GPU rendering are attached in the zip, forum wouldn't let me upload MP4s. This makes rendering so much faster since the flickering due to denoise doesn't manifest and as such samples can be set to be very low.
LuxCoreRender is not even deterministic: if you do 2 times the same rendering, you will not obtain exactly (from the numerical point of view) the same result. This is due to the "loose" parallelism (for maximum performance) and the not commutative nature of most floating point operations (i.e. the result of A+B+C can be different from A+C+B).

I understand the advantages of static noise but it may be a not trivial feature to implement. It is a topic to look into and investigate (at the moment I'm not even sure if it can be implemented with a reasonable amount of work :?: ).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties