Luxcore Caustics Pool Tutorial

Links and discussions related to tutorials, tips and tricks.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Luxcore Caustics Pool Tutorial

Post by Sharlybg »

Just another tutorial. It is clear that most of the power user here following Luxcore fast development know how to use every lastest features and toys available in the dailys builds. So this Tutorial is made for outside people in mind and pur newbie. I manage to keep it arround 10 mn.

Learn how to create a realistic and super fast caustics pool using Luxcore render engine new caustics cache. No fake tricks guaranteed. Faster on CPUs even faster on GPUs.

__Shaping
__Shading
__Lighting
__Caustics Settings

Render.png
Youtube Link :

https://youtu.be/mHYpWe4KF8I
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
zuljin3d

Re: Luxcore Caustics Pool Tutorial

Post by zuljin3d »

very helpful,thanks
Actualy sorry for my google translate english :)
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Great, this brings me also back to the idea of fake caustics.
Would it be possible to have a texture in shadow color and have the output of shadow color higher then 1?

This would make it so that we can have ultra fast fake caustics for animation.

For example have a caustic pattern texture plugged into multiply node and then to shadow color so that the passing light through object would be stronger creating the illusion of strong focused caustics...
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

lacilaci wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:42 am This would make it so that we can have ultra fast fake caustics for animation.
Light tracing without dispersion or SDS is already ultra fast.
Once baking is ready you can bake an animated image sequence and use it for animation render in no time, SDS included.
Denoising may be problematic though.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

epilectrolytics wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:06 pm
lacilaci wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:42 am This would make it so that we can have ultra fast fake caustics for animation.
Light tracing without dispersion or SDS is already ultra fast.
Once baking is ready you can bake an animated image sequence and use it for animation render in no time, SDS included.
Denoising may be problematic though.
Baked sds would require the baked texture to emit light to be convincing, that would mean visible sds even in shadows
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

lacilaci wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:06 pm Baked sds would require the baked texture to emit light to be convincing, that would mean visible sds even in shadows
Nope, only direct caustics are baked, SDS appear when the baked texture is rendered as emissive which is physically correct (for diffuse there is no difference between emission and reflection) and does not make anything appear in shadows.
Remember: SDS appear only on specular surfaces.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

epilectrolytics wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:32 pm
lacilaci wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:06 pm Baked sds would require the baked texture to emit light to be convincing, that would mean visible sds even in shadows
Nope, only direct caustics are baked, SDS appear when the baked texture is rendered as emissive which is physically correct (for diffuse there is no difference between emission and reflection) and does not make anything appear in shadows.
Remember: SDS appear only on specular surfaces.
hm.. Ok, I'll get back to this issue when I will try to do caustics for animation. Haven't looked at all at the baking features. Is this exposed in blender, can I somehow get a look at how the baking works?
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

No, it works only with LuxCoreUI so far, no idea when it will be exposed.