LuxCore Facebook Group

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
neoncreeper

LuxCore Facebook Group

Post by neoncreeper »

After talking with Siddhant on discord about the possibillity of an offical luxcore facebook group, I decided to make a post here to gauge interest. Facebook groups really seem to be the site's final saving grace, and as I'm sure alot of you know, there are some really useful and active groups from all corners of the CG industry. So what I'd like to ask is, are people interested in something like that?
Siddhant and I are happy to run it, and I can think of plenty of other community members who might also like to be involved, so all it would really need is a link on the luxcore web page and some active members to get facebook suggesting it to people in other CG groups. What do you guys think?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: LuxCore Facebook Group

Post by Dade »

neoncreeper wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:41 am After talking with Siddhant on discord about the possibillity of an offical luxcore facebook group, I decided to make a post here to gauge interest. Facebook groups really seem to be the site's final saving grace, and as I'm sure alot of you know, there are some really useful and active groups from all corners of the CG industry. So what I'd like to ask is, are people interested in something like that?
Siddhant and I are happy to run it, and I can think of plenty of other community members who might also like to be involved, so all it would really need is a link on the luxcore web page and some active members to get facebook suggesting it to people in other CG groups. What do you guys think?
I don't have, nor will ever have, a FaceBook account but if people want to create a FaceBook Group, sure go on. I would appreciate if you can get at least one "developer" involved, other ways there are going to be a lot of questions and few answers.

In general, keep in mind that the only place for "official" user support is this forum (and GitHub bug reports): it simply impractical to check GitHub, Forums, Discord, Twitter, Facebook, etc. everyday for questions (also spreading answers across many media is a waste).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

it simply impractical to check GitHub, Forums, Discord, Twitter, Facebook, etc. everyday for questions (also spreading answers across many media is a waste).
I agree.

Also, queries put here on the Luxcore forum are likely to be seen by the developers and hence checked for correct responses. However, on a social network that may not happen which could lead to confusion to users. IMHO

I know that in the past I have accidentally answered a query or two with not the best answer. :oops: ;)
neoncreeper

Post by neoncreeper »

Thanks guys, theyre both good points - I'd expect it would function much more similarly to Discord, perhaps a primary ephasis on sharing works made in Lux and critiquing/helping with those works would be worth doing, Discord has that too although there is plenty of bug reporting going on there too, though BYOB does a good job of pointing people to here and GitHub. I think I probably will make a group, and I'll bare this in mind.
Dade wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:59 am
neoncreeper wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:41 am After talking with Siddhant on discord about the possibillity of an offical luxcore facebook group, I decided to make a post here to gauge interest. Facebook groups really seem to be the site's final saving grace, and as I'm sure alot of you know, there are some really useful and active groups from all corners of the CG industry. So what I'd like to ask is, are people interested in something like that?
In general, keep in mind that the only place for "official" user support is this forum (and GitHub bug reports): it simply impractical to check GitHub, Forums, Discord, Twitter, Facebook, etc. everyday for questions (also spreading answers across many media is a waste).
Dade, is this the reason why the discord server isnt linked on the luxcore website? It would be nice to perhaps just a few a small social media links on the footer of the page, as alot of sites do. I know alot of people find Discord a much friendlier and more converstational place to get help with learning to use Lux than the forum or the wiki. I'm hoping a facebook group would serve a similar purpose for people who use facebook as one of their primary communication platforms.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

neoncreeper wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:25 am Dade, is this the reason why the discord server isnt linked on the luxcore website? It would be nice to perhaps just a few a small social media links on the footer of the page, as alot of sites do. I know alot of people find Discord a much friendlier and more converstational place to get help with learning to use Lux than the forum or the wiki. I'm hoping a facebook group would serve a similar purpose for people who use facebook as one of their primary communication platforms.
It is linked in a sticky post on News forum: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=535
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

I know alot of people find Discord a much friendlier and more converstational place to get help with learning to use Lux than the forum
You have only been a member here since the very end of July and in that time you have only made 4 posts - so how can you justify your comment?

You obviously don't know this forum and how helpful it's members and developers are to each other!