Shadow Terminator problem

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Shadow Terminator problem

Post by Dade »

Based on Appleseed workaround: https://github.com/skwerner/blender/com ... 1be6a29bd1

I don't think it has an high priority at the moment but something to keep an eye on.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Our current Velvet shader seem to have some shadow terminator issue even without bump map. have to find time to investigate.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Sometimes, tweaking the 'Advanced' settings or making the light source larger appears to fix this. Also, it can be really sensitive to whether of not there is enough Sub-divisions. I don't understand why, but that's how I've been using it.
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

Is shadow terminator treated automatically or are there any settings to turn it on?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Racleborg wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:29 pm Sometimes, tweaking the 'Advanced' settings or making the light source larger appears to fix this. Also, it can be really sensitive to whether of not there is enough Sub-divisions. I don't understand why, but that's how I've been using it.
i do the same but this is not normal. a single shader shouldn't completely dictate your lighting preference ;)

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

i do the same but this is not normal. a single shader shouldn't completely dictate your lighting preference ;)
I agree, and even though I really like the Velvet shader it has been a bit hit and miss at times. The settings aren't labelled very definitively and are described as 'abstract'(or something like that) which may not be helping matters.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Egert_Kanep wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:56 pm Is shadow terminator treated automatically or are there any settings to turn it on?
It is always enabled (if you use bump/normal mapping, the topic of this thread, not the last link I posted).
Mango3

Post by Mango3 »

Egert_Kanep wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:56 pm Is shadow terminator treated automatically or are there any settings to turn it on?
Just to clarify. The appleseed fix is not automatic, one can set a numeric correction factor (part of the object modifier) for the affected object.
It is not dependent on bump mapping and works on general low poly objects.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

From what I saw, it produces really good and expected results. Hope one day to see it land in LuxCore. 8-)