Thickness based volume scattering

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Egert_Kanep

Thickness based volume scattering

Post by Egert_Kanep »

I got curios if there was a way to control volume scattering based on thickness or pointiness. I'm doing water shading tests and usually in the wave peaks you see these bright blue parts, I thought I could use volume scattering to have deeper, calm parts scatter less and these high peaks scatter more. But I can't figure out how to control it
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Thickness based volume scattering

Post by Dade »

Egert_Kanep wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:37 am I got curios if there was a way to control volume scattering based on thickness or pointiness. I'm doing water shading tests and usually in the wave peaks you see these bright blue parts, I thought I could use volume scattering to have deeper, calm parts scatter less and these high peaks scatter more. But I can't figure out how to control it
I think the only way is to use an heterogeneous volume: the effect should be related to the amount of air/water mix, on peaks you have probably a lot more air mixed with water.

However, I think is more related to the color of the scattering event than the amount of scattering: it should be, not about having more/less scattering, but about a different scattering color.

I have the feeling a OpenVDB file may be the only way to describe this type of heterogeneous volume. Note sure if Blender can build such OpenVDB file or it requires some more advance simulation tool :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Egert_Kanep

Re: Thickness based volume scattering

Post by Egert_Kanep »

I see, so some kind of 3d data is only way to go with this kind of thing.