LuxCore v2.3 proposed features

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
provisory

Re: LuxCore v2.3 proposed features

Post by provisory »

Sharlybg wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:39 am If Bidir have to exist it need more love...
BiDir must exist (and needs solution for SDS) to be the full featured "holistic" reference renderer.
Path Tracing with Light Tracing and PGI caches is good for the most scenes, but it's overly complicated and still doesn't cover complex cases, like when the full scene is illuminated through real glass.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

provisory wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:07 pm BiDir must exist (and needs solution for SDS) to be the full featured "holistic" reference renderer.
Yep, and that would be:
Dade wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:21 am
  • New complete Bidirectional path tracing with vertex merging (BIDIRCPUVM)
BiDirVM currently is an option in LuxCoreUI but it is broken (though @Fox has managed to get some great renders out of it).
I would also like to see an LightCPUVM option (like that already realised with PSR) but I'm afraid I'm the only one :) )
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Due to my intense experience trying to render orange juice in a glass I suggest an additional volume type.

Custom Volume
Basic parameters like heterogeneous with following differences

Scattering size (particle size, length on axis)
Scattering density (distance between particles, 1 means distance equals particle size)
Scattering color / intensity (RGB, 0,0,0 passes all, 1,1,1 scatters homogeneous in particle volume).

Scattering density, size and color / intensity are related to x, y and z; they all accept 3D texture input or a function (linear, quadratic, cubic) respectively free hand drawn curve with only one value per axis point (value 0..1, axis 0..255). Input default is 1. Input is multiplied with its related scattering value.

Particles can be cubes or Rhombic dodecahedrons (RhDdh). Like cubes RhDdh can tesselate space gapless.

Possible uses for custom volumes are: clouds, fog, sand clouds, fog, sedimenting inhomogeneous mixtures, fruit juice, milk, turbid lakes
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
Fox

Post by Fox »

epilectrolytics wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:39 pm BiDirVM currently is an option in LuxCoreUI but it is broken
The MLT support for VM would be insanely huge upgrade. Now even with classic BiDir, the MLT beats random in underwater caustics so fast, i can't even blink my eyes before caustics are "all done".
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:17 pm Due to my intense experience trying to render orange juice in a glass I suggest an additional volume type.

Custom Volume
Basic parameters like heterogeneous with following differences

Scattering size (particle size, length on axis)
Scattering density (distance between particles, 1 means distance equals particle size)
Scattering color / intensity (RGB, 0,0,0 passes all, 1,1,1 scatters homogeneous in particle volume).

Scattering density, size and color / intensity are related to x, y and z; they all accept 3D texture input or a function (linear, quadratic, cubic) respectively free hand drawn curve with only one value per axis point (value 0..1, axis 0..255). Input default is 1. Input is multiplied with its related scattering value.

Particles can be cubes or Rhombic dodecahedrons (RhDdh). Like cubes RhDdh can tesselate space gapless.

Possible uses for custom volumes are: clouds, fog, sand clouds, fog, sedimenting inhomogeneous mixtures, fruit juice, milk, turbid lakes
I added this as "Add procedural textures specifically tailored for heterogeneous volumes (for instance clouds, fog, sand clouds, fog, sedimenting heterogeneous mixtures, fruit juice, milk, turbid lakes)".
All is already possible using LuxCore OpenVDB support but without procedural textures, you are limited by Blender/BlendLuxCore capabilities to edit/export heterogeneous volumes. Procedural textures have also a very small (GPU) memory foot print while OpenVDB volumes require a lot of ram.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Updated the original list and going to create the poll.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

What Glass material really needs is multi-scattered surface model, one like Cycles has. Here, even Corona ain't as good 8-)

Next, it would be great to really fully fix the shadow terminator. Should be pretty simple, like what appleseed's dev. Franz did.
Shadow Terminator fix.jpg
And of course, most important is resulting render consistency between BlendLuxCore and LuxCoreUI!
Being able to use network rendering should work without hassle.

Oh, finally better sampling. IDK what it is, but the way it is now, image quality is far less then that of Corona. Just can't reach such sharpness & clarity. In this regard, even faster GPU rendering doesn't help. Corona wins.
Last edited by kintuX on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

kintuX wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:34 pm And of course, most important is resultind render consistency between BlendLuxCore and LuxCoreUI, being able to use network rendering without hassle.
I'm quite happy that someone else feel this as important.
I hope that soon (2.3) or later this will be fixed.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

marcatore wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:36 pm
kintuX wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:34 pm And of course, most important is resultind render consistency between BlendLuxCore and LuxCoreUI, being able to use network rendering without hassle.
I'm quite happy that someone else feel this as important.
I hope that soon (2.3) or later this will be fixed.
This shouldn't be hard. We need to find a way to bypass Blender's disfiguration of colour.

PS
I believe added option to also support direct export of rendered image from LuxCore (as EXR or optionally other formats / like Corona exporter supports) could be the way.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:34 pm What Glass material really needs is multi-scattered surface model, one like Cycles has. Here, even Corona ain't as good 8-)
It looks like LuxCore roughglass material :?: