LuxCore v2.3 proposed features

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: LuxCore v2.3 proposed features

Post by lacilaci »

happyboy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:18 am BTW: I don't know what is rayswitch, and only interested in issue 148, but I guess your use case might be similar to mine, so could you tell me how would you use rayswitch? Maybe I'll added it to my wishlist after understanding your use case 8-)
issue 148 is about being able to hide from certain ray type, but rayswitch shader or texture could actually switch from one material or texture to another...

in cycles they call it light path node, in corona it is rayswitch (https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/su ... l-and-map-)

Basically for example you could have two materials, where one would be visible for every ray type except reflection, and another one would be visible in reflections (or you would use null material in reflection and have a Vampire :D)
happyboy

Post by happyboy »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:27 am Basically for example you could have two materials, where one would be visible for every ray type except reflection, and another one would be visible in reflections (or you would use null material in reflection and have a Vampire :D)
Ok, I understand you (theoretically), but since I'm only doing regular arch-viz type render, I don't really need to have a Vampire :)
Any more real-life use cases? 8-)
BTW: I'm using ray visibility to mainly reduce render time and hide artifacts, not to produce interesting effects. But rayswitch, if I understand you correct, can be used to create some specific effect?
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

My wishlist (by priority)
High Medium
  • Custom split normals support
  • Micropolygon displacement
  • raytraced bevel shader
  • raytraced ambient oclusion/dirt texture (with support for mapping distance)
Low
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

happyboy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:10 am
lacilaci wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:27 am Basically for example you could have two materials, where one would be visible for every ray type except reflection, and another one would be visible in reflections (or you would use null material in reflection and have a Vampire :D)
Ok, I understand you (theoretically), but since I'm only doing regular arch-viz type render, I don't really need to have a Vampire :)
Any more real-life use cases? 8-)
BTW: I'm using ray visibility to mainly reduce render time and hide artifacts, not to produce interesting effects. But rayswitch, if I understand you correct, can be used to create some specific effect?
You can make non reflective object be visible for GI - disable caustics per object to boost performance
Have an object that emits strong light but for camera is much weaker so that it won't be overexposed visibly.
Have a complex mix of materials for camera but a very simplified version for reflections for better performance.
Have one texture of floor saturated and visible in camera but another desaturated for GI rays to remove color cast...

The list goes on, it's just much greater flexibility.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Updated the list.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 am raytraced bevel shader
raytraced ambient oclusion/dirt texture (with support for mapping distance)
Amb... occl... I can not even write it....

It is not possible to trace rays inside a texture (or a material), nor will ever be. So any solution must be implemented as a pre-processing step (it is a bad idea to repeat a work at run-time, instead to do something once before the rendering) and/or something like the current pointness support.
lacilaci wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 am texture caching in ram?
What do you mean ? Use CPU ram to store image maps and GPU as a (smaller) cache of the image maps set :?:
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:39 am - Implement persistent cache for DLSC and EVLC in LuxBlend #293
I consider this a "bug" fix and I assume it will be done anyway (so it is not included in the list).
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

jgrover110 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:18 pm -Custom split normals support
This is a BlendLuxCore feature, right ? It doesn't involve LuxCore API :?:
jgrover110 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:18 pm -Principled hair bsdf shader
Only the shader or also a dedicated geometry primitive too ?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:40 am
lacilaci wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 am raytraced bevel shader
raytraced ambient oclusion/dirt texture (with support for mapping distance)
Amb... occl... I can not even write it....

It is not possible to trace rays inside a texture (or a material), nor will ever be. So any solution must be implemented as a pre-processing step (it is a bad idea to repeat a work at run-time, instead to do something once before the rendering) and/or something like the current pointness support.
lacilaci wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 am texture caching in ram?
What do you mean ? Use CPU ram to store image maps and GPU as a (smaller) cache of the image maps set :?:
So maybe you could trace the ao/dirt mask before render with given amount of samples and then do rendering? I'm sorry I'm not sure how vray or corona or cycles do these shaders internally (here's how vray dirtmap looks like: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRA ... C+VRayDirt)

As for texture, I meant it like "out of core" feature just for textures, you said yourself that geometry isn't big issue for VRAM in luxcore, but large amount of high res textures is.
So maybe this could be a toggle in render settings, where I would enable using just system ram for textures for some speed penalty...?
Last edited by lacilaci on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:42 am
jgrover110 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:18 pm -Custom split normals support
This is a BlendLuxCore feature, right ? It doesn't involve LuxCore API :?:

Yes, blender has multiple tools for handling normals, but the only options available for luxcore when rendering are flat, smooth, autosmooth... No custom sets, splits or weighted normals seem to work (this is a pretty big problem for cad models, booleans, and in general blender has nice normal editing tools that are useless for luxcore atm)