Kitchen + Living_

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Re: Kitchen + Living_

Post by marcatore »

Magog wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:27 am I started reading the posts about the LuxCache section, but there are so many pages to absorb and lots of tests to do at a time when I have absolutely no time.
About PhotonGI (PGI) in my opinion there aren't so much to tweak. Just turn down the photon numbers for testing and check the glossiness threshold if it's fine with your materials.
About Direct Light Cache, in my opinion, the tweaking is more needed but a bit time consuming. It's difficult to find "the right" setting and , if your scene is quite heavy, it's time consuming doing tests over tests , for example in my scene the default settings turn the direct cache computing time around 5 minutes... I was able to cut it down to 1 minutes but with loss in quality...so, at the moment, I'm putting back that cache in the restroom.
About env cache I don't have any tips or feedbacks to give you.

Anyway, as someone said, it's a good start.
In my opinion some materials seems a bit too "basic" but for testing and learning I think it's fine.
Magog

Post by Magog »

marcatore wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:05 am
In my opinion some materials seems a bit too "basic" but for testing and learning I think it's fine.
I Know, u're right.
We can only improve!
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Magog wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:27 am I started reading the posts about the LuxCache section, but there are so many pages to absorb and lots of tests to do at a time when I have absolutely no time.
This wiki page should provide the information in a more concise way: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/PhotonGI
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

by lacilaci » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:45 am
Racleborg wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:20 am
OIDIN is great for somethings, but try it with a repeated pattern or the CLOTH material node and it won't matter how many samples you use it will still blur the image too much IMHO.
That's not true, I don't know about cloth shader(it's too slow to use) but I rendered a lot of fabric type stuff and oidn worked just great. Of course if you have some faint high frequency texture you might need a LOT of samples to preserve it, but any type of realistic looking cloth has enough diversity and different levels of details that will show through noise.
(OIDN and BCD EXAMPLES attached)
They are both using 1000 samples. The only difference between the renders is the denoiser type. To my eyes, the higher the repeated pattern frequency then the more splodge the OIDN denoiser produces.
So in the case of the Cloth shader - where the repeated weft pattern actually has no diversity - what you’re saying is that that is the only reason why I’m getting the splodgy effect. Have I understood you correctly? It’s a shame, if so, because (difference of opinion here) I find the cloth shader quite handy as it’s useful for beginners like me to learn things!
Attachments
BCD NO SPLODGE.jpg
OIDN SPLODGE.jpg
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Racleborg wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:01 pm
by lacilaci » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:45 am
Racleborg wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:20 am
OIDIN is great for somethings, but try it with a repeated pattern or the CLOTH material node and it won't matter how many samples you use it will still blur the image too much IMHO.
That's not true, I don't know about cloth shader(it's too slow to use) but I rendered a lot of fabric type stuff and oidn worked just great. Of course if you have some faint high frequency texture you might need a LOT of samples to preserve it, but any type of realistic looking cloth has enough diversity and different levels of details that will show through noise.
(OIDN and BCD EXAMPLES attached)
They are both using 1000 samples. The only difference between the renders is the denoiser type. To my eyes, the higher the repeated pattern frequency then the more splodge the OIDN denoiser produces.
So in the case of the Cloth shader - where the repeated weft pattern actually has no diversity - what you’re saying is that that is the only reason why I’m getting the splodgy effect. Have I understood you correctly? It’s a shame, if so, because (difference of opinion here) I find the cloth shader quite handy as it’s useful for beginners like me to learn things!
I'd rather render higher resolution so that oidn recognizes those details in that case. Never had issues like this in regular textures but the repetitive pattern is also not very visible too much(with textures) so something like this blurring could be hidden in variance of the texture in some cases...
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

I'd rather render higher resolution so that oidn recognizes those details in that case. Never had issues like this in regular textures but the repetitive pattern is also not very visible too much(with textures) so something like this blurring could be hidden in variance of the texture in some cases...
Thank you for your response. It's probably time for me to get more interesting in the way that I make fabrics ;) .