Flask

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Flask

Post by lacilaci »

filip wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:40 pm OK, I think I figured out what the problem was. I moved the liquid further into the glass and then the Bidir render looked the same as the Path one. So that must be the correct look. Well, I double-checked with the real object too. :)
However, I didn't like the reflection on the bottom of the flask so I made a studio like setup to block it.
Here's how it looks now, still rendered with Bidir:
flask7_3.png

So now one question remains, if there is some way to get those caustics (on the right side) with Path.

Anyway, thanks a lot to all of you for the help. This is an awesome render engine, I haven't had this much fun playing around with graphic software in a long time. I hope you keep developing it.
Ok, I tested out your scene and you are rigfht, you cannot get exactly the same caustics as with bidir in luxcore2.2(the sharp ring)...

However you will be able to in 2.3 as the lighttracing will be modified to allow for more complex caustics and also render them faster.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

...Here's a little over 50 seconds render of the flask using lighttracing in an early build of 2.3
Ca.jpg
as you can see, now it has different problem than missing sharp ring :D but hopefully Dade will be able to fix it and we can forget about slow bidir rendering forever...
filip

Post by filip »

Hah, cool! Would be nice to put my GPUs to work as well.

By the way, the caustics actually cleared pretty fast. It's the area with the glass that was still noisy at 50 minutes.
Well, at least the caustics on the floor, maybe internally it's the caustics that cause the noise on the glass, I have no idea.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

filip wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:54 am Hah, cool! Would be nice to put my GPUs to work as well.

By the way, the caustics actually cleared pretty fast. It's the area with the glass that was still noisy at 50 minutes.
Well, at least the caustics on the floor, maybe internally it's the caustics that cause the noise on the glass, I have no idea.
yes, those noisy areas on glass that take long to clean are SDS paths(caustics seen through refraction or reflection) and it's what will be hopefuly much faster in 2.3... At least I hope cause I've got a pool to render :shock:
filip

Post by filip »

Your pool scene looks very nice so far. I particularly like the material you got on the shades/sails!

Edit:

Another test, basking in the beautiful glow of caustics.