Laci's wip

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Laci's wip

Post by lacilaci »

Racleborg wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:52 pm
Actually I changed the colors a bit cause it was a bit too oversaturated and disrupted the scene..
Nice.

Will you be keeping the headphones in as not only do they look great, but they also add a bit of a story to your scene?
Yeah, I think these are my final views...
cams.jpg
Except: I want super clear water with super sharp caustics(This is a must)! And will add ocean level in postproduction (real mesh but without lighttracing since Dade won't allow for big meshes and metropolis sampling :lol: )
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Look at these colors and shapes:

That's what I want to see in my pool...
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

It all looks really 8-) and inspirational to me.

My favourite things in the scene (other than for those headphones, of course) are the round table material and all the water.

The palm tree looks great too and all the glassware, just that round tree doesn't grab me quite as much as the rest of it (not sure why, maybe something in the leaves material or it could just be my eyes which are seriously ageing .

Anyways, it looks amazing!
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Have you considered creating the waves with dynamic paint, so they actually reflect off the walls and the platforms in the pool?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:37 pm Have you considered creating the waves with dynamic paint, so they actually reflect off the walls and the platforms in the pool?
They did at some point, but as Dade keep changing things it got lost... But at one point the wave's reflected caustics were very clearly showing on ceiling and walls... I don't know why it is now not visible...
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

No, I mean the wave pattern (deformation) reflecting, not light related :)
like here: https://youtu.be/2B4i28L1pu8?t=7
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:32 pm No, I mean the wave pattern (deformation) reflecting, not light related :)
like here: https://youtu.be/2B4i28L1pu8?t=7
Oh I see :lol: so no.. I think the bright underwater caustics should take over in a way you hardly recognize any waterlevel/surface...

At least that's what I'm going for, from the references. Where water isn't really visible, only caustics and some refraction.

Right now water looks very weird cause it's almost like mercury, where you see all the smallest waves reflections(which you wouldn't on water)
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

Amazing job!
And yes, that's the kind of magic water that's missing
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

have you never tried some fake caustics using texture on an area light? Something like a caustics projector
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

marcatore wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:50 am have you never tried some fake caustics using texture on an area light? Something like a caustics projector
But you also need to make sure they don't appear in shadows from the sun...
Like I said, best results with faking it were in cycles with "shadow mask" and not very realistic water setup....

But right now I'm not looking for a fake solution, caustics play a major role in this scene... I just need to wait for Dade to finalize the solution before I can finalize this project... If I wanted to fake it, I would probably use cycles cause it allows for some crazy tricks with nodes.

I'm ok with faking anything but with caustics there is no easy and convincing way to do it. It simply has to be rendered properly and especially in a scene like this where in some shots it will be taking most of image space. I want all that nice hypnotizing web of light going on like in that previous reference picture I posted..

By the way, should I also use some dispersion? In some photos I saw a bit of that effect but I'm not sure if it's something I should do for clear water...