Laci's wip

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Laci's wip

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I think OBJECT_ID_MASK is not yet exposed in BlendLuxCore. (https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... issues/230)
But you can use "Material ID Color" instead I think.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:46 pm I think OBJECT_ID_MASK is not yet exposed in BlendLuxCore.
But you can use "Material ID Color" instead I think.
Yes yes. I will have alpha mask and material ids and tweak the alpha using selection from the mat.id color... Should be pretty straightforward.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

some background objects
b00.png
b01.png
b02.png
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

I know work on 2.3 just started but my pinacollada is black and could use some hybrid glass magic :D
pclb.jpg
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

picking some final camera angles before I finalize everything...
Scene.jpg

It does look a bit shitty without caustics though... I'm really, REALLY relying on some top quality crazy caustics here in 2.3. The whole scene is built around complex caustics!

btw, anyone knows how to make nice and convincing subtle lens flare effect? Some more robust glare effects for luxcore would be cool(so that we can do some stuff in camera)
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Very nice work!

Last pool caustics attempt I made was with sun relative size = 5 and PathOCL (Sobol or Metro) which kinda works, but not fast and it's always darker than Cycles or Octane. Those have glossy/caustic filter which makes pool caustics easy (and probably would do so in LuxCore too).

Never tried this but if you could bake a caustic pattern into the pool material once it would then work for all angles...
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

epilectrolytics wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:37 am Very nice work!

Last pool caustics attempt I made was with sun relative size = 5 and PathOCL (Sobol or Metro) which kinda works, but not fast and it's always darker than Cycles or Octane. Those have glossy/caustic filter which makes pool caustics easy (and probably would do so in LuxCore too).

Never tried this but if you could bake a caustic pattern into the pool material once it would then work for all angles...
Thanks, I tested this type of stuff with cycles and yes, underwater surface and volumes were a LOT brighter and more realistic than whatever luxcore does (again, this is probably due to filtered/blurred caustics and hybrid glass/transparent shadows) but to get something like visible focused caustics I had to fake that effect..

-Make an invisible plane(for every ray except shadow ray) with caustic texture as mask which looked nice but not as good as my photo references or what I've seen in corona.

In luxcore you cannot even fake that effect cause there isn't any options to hide objects for different type of rays and no transparent shadows, yet..

With this early luxcore 2.3 I'm still getting a very dark underwater surface and volume and caustics never get sharp, no matter how long I render (+ rounded surfaces don't get any caustics at all).

But I hope these issues can be solved and this would make it possible for luxcore to render what only corona can(in a reasonable time) right now.

But even if PSR gets perfected to a point it is super fast and nice and sharp... I still think it is extremely important to be able to hide and/or switch how objects and lights look for diffuse/reflection/refraction/shadow ray for optimization purposes - this is the biggest appeal for me in cycles and it's the difference being to render something in fast paced production or not.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

The fruit looks delicious :)
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Racleborg wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:19 am The fruit looks delicious :)
Actually I changed the colors a bit cause it was a bit too oversaturated and disrupted the scene...
frt0.png
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Actually I changed the colors a bit cause it was a bit too oversaturated and disrupted the scene..
Nice.

Will you be keeping the headphones in as not only do they look great, but they also add a bit of a story to your scene?