ACES tip

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
Egert_Kanep

ACES tip

Post by Egert_Kanep »

So I started to wonder how to use aces with blender and found this article

https://acescentral.com/t/aces-set-up-f ... -ocio/2106

There is easy guide for the setup and I believe renders really benefit from using aces. As it is the standard and behaves really well in post editing. Good for vfx 😊.

And a quick test with one of the available demo scenes
Attachments
Left blender filmic, right aces with srgb view transform
Left blender filmic, right aces with srgb view transform
Dez!

Re: ACES tip

Post by Dez! »

Большое спасибо за статью!
Это магия!
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Great color contrast out of the box, and blender adopts aces as default the moment there is a system variable for it, I like this...
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

how do you deal with texture loading though. It seems to default to aces cct, but in lookdev mode textures look pretty burned.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

I think this is the main issue:

from the tutorial page "ACES is not complicated to work with, but you need to keep track of the color spaces of each image source, the working space of the program and the viewing pipeline."

If you haven't got the right textures or color inputs , you fall into more workload to convert input into this colorspace and when you have hundred of inputs you are done.
Otherwise, if there is an automatic system to manage this, it's a great way to find the right colorr output.

Anyway, thank you for this share
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

marcatore wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:47 am I think this is the main issue:

from the tutorial page "ACES is not complicated to work with, but you need to keep track of the color spaces of each image source, the working space of the program and the viewing pipeline."

If you haven't got the right textures or color inputs , you fall into more workload to convert input into this colorspace and when you have hundred of inputs you are done.
Otherwise, if there is an automatic system to manage this, it's a great way to find the right colorr output.

Anyway, thank you for this share
Yeah, if all image textures would default to acescg instead of aces cct (acescg seems to look correct) then it probably wouldn't be an issue, but I think that's on blender and there seem to be a bit of dispute of some sorts about how the whole "colour science" should work.
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

Usually for textures, if they have not been made for acescg colorpsace, you should use utility srgb/input generic srgb texture or utility linear srgb. Most textures you download from web are srgb images, but technical textures like roughness and bump, normal etc should be treated as linear images.

So for color - srgb either utility or input
For technical textures - utility linear srgb.

This only applies if you have not made textures in acescg colorspace.

Also keep in mind that srgb images look a bit darker in aces colorspace, that is normal.
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

Altough now that I try basic color texture in Lux I see that we don't really have options for choosing colorspace. And for some reason I need to have gamma 1 to get somewhat similar result to Input srgb texture, but not a complete match.
Mango3

Post by Mango3 »

It is not that simple.

To define a color space you need 3 parameter: primaries, white point and transfer function.
ACEScg uses a different set of RGB primaries (AP1) than sRGB! So to use it correctly the render engine has to internally support rendering with said AP1 primaries and additionally all (non ACEScg) textures need to be converted to the ACEScg color space.

Preprocessing textures is usually done to build mipmaps, optimize opaque, monochrome textures, and to convert the textures from the color space they are encoded in, into the rendering/working space. This moves (expensive) color transformations out of the shading stage.

Usually the default working space is scene-linear with sRGB/Rec.709 RGB primaries and D65 white point (though I'm not sure about that for LuxCore)

Some render engines, RenderMan for instance, do automatic texture conversion (to tiled, linearized textures, though not color space conversion) on first run.
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

this guy has some info about this topic
https://www.toodee.de/?page_id=1720