AMD Radeon 5700XT not ready yet?

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

AMD Radeon 5700XT not ready yet?

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Currently AMD Radeon 5700XT performs on level of 4 years old card R9 390x in Luxmark 3.1 Hotel hall benchmark. In theory the card should be about twice as fast but openCL driver is not ready yet what leads too low performance and other issues, see following or similar reviews.

STH AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 Review Update

„... two new GPUs, the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and Radeon RX 5700. ... Navi, with its GDDR6 memory and new architecture would perform well, especially in our rendering tests.
... ran into issues due to the current state of the AMD OpenCL support for the cards. ...
We cannot recommend someone use a Navi desktop GPU for professional applications when we are seeing errors and program crashes using the current (as of 7/11/2019) driver stack. AMD is aware of this shortcoming, and it will likely be remedied soon.“ Patrick Kennedy - July 12, 2019
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
kintuX

Re: AMD Radeon 5700XT not ready yet?

Post by kintuX »

Things are getting pretty hot lately. :lol:
Is it intentionally confusing or is the time of the season?

source: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/a ... ew,27.html
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Things are getting pretty hot lately. :lol:
Is it intentionally confusing or is the time of the season?
vray isn't what we can call a opencl/AMD friendly architecture.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

But it's the code nevertheless (computing performance). Also, when they started using GPUs, OCL was the one having advantage.
I tend to not dis developers, in my eyes they tend to be less biased toward the product (HW) but rather prefer the logic and licensing of the code... at least I believe so.

PS
Generally there's ~ 10000 AMD devs for whole PC & GPU line VS 11500 NVidia devs for just the GPU line... do the math. It's hard to overcome all this when even drivers are most often an issue. But performance is there.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

kintuX wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:46 pm Generally there's ~ 10000 AMD devs for whole PC & GPU line VS 11500 NVidia devs for just the GPU line... do the math. It's hard to overcome all this when even drivers are most often an issue. But performance is there.
I don't think that more people automatically mean more/better output. It depends a lot on the organisation and how well they communicate with each other.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:04 pm I don't think that more people automatically mean more/better output. It depends a lot on the organisation and how well they communicate with each other.
Neither do I, but in general, the larger the pool the greater the probability.
Organization wise, neither that, nor great communication can't guarantee steady development, profit, economic growth. Considering politics & philosophy, NVidia is much more rigid, thus well organized & disciplined. The reason why it is so closed and seemingly secured about its future. Up to now the facts and results were screaming "advantage". But that's the thing about the security, it's an illusion. And from my POV, I'm seeing many 'I's & their eyes blinded in the last decade by the promise of such "grandiose private future" (alike what futurism did a century ago)... and now another systematic disruption is here (ecological, technical, economical, conscious...) - running strong, gaining momentum.
IMO, nowadays, efficiency and optimizations shouldn't be closed & locked for private profit, but opened, shared with everyone able to contribute, to develop... thus i believe, in long run, AMD, open source, humanity will prevail, the good and the brave society taking opportunity in life will pass through. Just like it always did. :)
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Will be nice to have some Luxmark number of a early adopter of one theses GPU ( Rx 5700xt / Rx 5700 ).

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Sharlybg wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:33 pm Will be nice to have some Luxmark number of a early adopter of one theses GPU ( Rx 5700xt / Rx 5700 ).
EDIT
post deleted
my mistake, posting unchecked & misleading information
Last edited by kintuX on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:43 pm i believe this comes from RX 5700TX
My AMD 290X is an Hawaii GPU, or the drivers report some misleading information or the screenshot may be wrong.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:46 pm
kintuX wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:43 pm i believe this comes from RX 5700TX
My AMD 290X is an Hawaii GPU, or the drivers report some misleading information or the screenshot may be wrong.
Yep, it's R9 290! Shows how much i know about AMD GPU - zilch, null :)