Material/Texture rework in v2.4

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Material/Texture rework in v2.3

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:01 pm The recently added Disney shader could be upgraded to the newer version with refraction, SSS color etc for better compatibility with Cycles.
Aka Siggraph 2015 version (we have 2012).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

I dont' know if it's a feature of Blender but, dreaming ...

.. I'd like to have a mix material that can mix (blend) 2 materials that are instanced from existing ones.

Example.
I have a grid metal sheet material and an emissive material.
I'd like to create a mix material where I can put "metal sheet" and "emissive" as mix inputs and not to have, as it's now, to copy&paste nodes from the source materials.

Do you think it will be possible?

It will be useful cause , for example, if you need to change the "metal sheet" material properties (or textures), these changes will be poretd to the mix material too.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

marcatore wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:41 pm .. I'd like to have a mix material that can mix (blend) 2 materials that are instanced from existing ones.
This is already possible with the "pointer" node in BlendLuxCore. You can find it in the "pointer" category.
Attachments
2019-07-16_18-02-39.png
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Oh...great!!

Never known this! thank you!
stansu

Post by stansu »

can we have a feature that can automatic preserve material's emit power when changing mesh size?
thank you very much!
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

stansu wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:53 am can we have a feature that can automatic preserve material's emit power when changing mesh size?
thank you very much!
Related to this request I'd like to see something like that for sun

To have artistic control over sun so that we can emulate simple overcast lighting getting softer shadows, currently changing sun size affects strenght. This might be realistic behavior but changing sun size is unrealistic anyways so I'd rather have sun power to be automatically compensated for it's size so we are only changing how soft the shadows are.

For example in cycles, instead of changing sun size there is an "angle" parameter that probably does only change source size and compensates power. Afaik other renderers that allow changing size of sun also don't change it's intensity.

For people that need artistic control this behavior would be more convenient and for people who need realistic behavior, well, they don't need to change sun size anyways..
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

stansu wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:53 am can we have a feature that can automatic preserve material's emit power when changing mesh size?
thank you very much!
This behavior is in fact counter intuitive. There is not any hint that lightening depends on area. If there only were a hint emission is calculated on total area of objects. It would make sense if there were a label telling gain is meant to be per square millimeter or whatever area is behind the formulas.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Something similar to stansu request a suggest a "conpensate camera exposure" checkbox.

I use it always for graphical lightbox inside stores cause it avoid to make test renders everytime I place lightboxes inside a new environment that has different lighting setup (and its camera exposure). I think it could be good for secondary objects that emit light (but they don't partecipate too much to the general lighting) like monitors, lightbox, signs, LED stripes and so on.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Material/Texture rework in v2.4

Post by Dade »

This work has been postponed to v2.4 (updated the title).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties