Smoke visibility

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
wasd

Smoke visibility

Post by wasd »

I have a questions about smoke:
1) Is it possible to make smoke from a certain smoke flow invisible, i.e. not rendering it at all?
2) Is it possible to get smoke data per smoke flow, not entire domain?
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Smoke visibility

Post by Dade »

wasd wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:23 am I have a questions about smoke:
1) Is it possible to make smoke from a certain smoke flow invisible, i.e. not rendering it at all?
What is exactly the mean of "smoke flow" ?

You can make it totally transparent: 0.0 scattering and absorption.
wasd wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:23 am 2) Is it possible to get smoke data per smoke flow, not entire domain?
See the question above.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

This would require some kind of ID grid (which does not exist). Or it would be necessary to save the smoke of different flows to different grids, but I think this is not possible in Blender - everything is baked into the same grid.

What you could try is using a distinct color channel for each flow (R, G or B) and mask them by using the new "split RGB" texture in the latest daily builds.

@Dade: A smoke flow in Blender is an object that emits/generates smoke.
wasd

Post by wasd »

Dade wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:20 am
wasd wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:23 am I have a questions about smoke:
What is exactly the mean of "smoke flow" ?

You can make it totally transparent: 0.0 scattering and absorption.
Yep, I did something like that, though it's 1.0 for no absorption. It's not very convinient, hence the question.
wasd

Post by wasd »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:53 am This would require some kind of ID grid (which does not exist). Or it would be necessary to save the smoke of different flows to different grids, but I think this is not possible in Blender - everything is baked into the same grid.

What you could try is using a distinct color channel for each flow (R, G or B) and mask them by using the new "split RGB" texture in the latest daily builds.
It's not very nice of blender, then.
I'd try this split rgb. For now I colored "invisible" smoke black, and visible – white.
Also, there's "Use modifier during render" switch, but it seems it does nothing with smoke flow.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

With a setup like this, you can create masks for up to three smoke flow objects:
Attachments
2019-05-14_13-14-04.png