PhotonGI cache

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by lacilaci »

by the way... Is the difference between cache from cpu and opencl solved?

I'm asking because in my scene I solved it by deleting and relinking some objects (floorboards specificaly) But I don't know why it would matter at all..

The problematic part in this scene regarding overall performance is that there seems to be mostly a lot of direct light sampling (a lot of windows) which creates a lot of shadows and that noise is incredibly slow to resolve even though photongi makes rays/sample go down to 3 from +/-5.9...

EDIT: it seems that sigma other than 0 also seem to do something to cache, I had my matte material for wall using sigma of 6.3 for some reason and it definitely resulted in worse performance and worse looking cache too!
Fox

Post by Fox »

Does PhotonGi support only clear volume type, no hetero?
Path VS PhotonGi.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Fox wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm Does PhotonGi support only clear volume type, no hetero?
Nope :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Fox

Post by Fox »

I probably need to go below 0.0001 radius and indirect.usagethresholdscale = 12000
Or maybe it's about the sampling efficiency, the small area takes about 90% render time, when i use linear random sampler with path-cpu, i see it's stuck there.
Fox

Post by Fox »

95% sure the hetero volume covers slow because the dense mesh has normals pointing in different directions and the triangles are very small.
Upped the visibility.maxsamplecount so high it took 1 hour, no help there.
Then i thought maybe photon path depth has to be higher than hetero volume max steps. Then i upped the path depth to 10500 and took photon number 200 times smaller. Did not work.
Very small radius like 0.00001 displayed error MLT can't find usable light sources.
The numbers under the clear glass come out, slow, but they come. The mesh is not ideal.

But the clear glass type on camera lens with dispersion enabled seems to work so well.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

So I'm now 100% sure that the weird and noisy cache is happening due to bump mapping!

cpucache:
cpucache.jpg
opencl/hybridcache:
cpuandgpucache.jpg
opencl/hybrid cache without bump mapping in materials!:
cpuandgpucache_NOBUMP.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:09 am So I'm now 100% sure that the weird and noisy cache is happening due to bump mapping!
I should have fixed this yesterday:

https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... c3ab7b9bb0 https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... f8c371039e

Does it still happen with the latest version ?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:18 am
lacilaci wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:09 am So I'm now 100% sure that the weird and noisy cache is happening due to bump mapping!
I should have fixed this yesterday:

https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... c3ab7b9bb0 https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... f8c371039e

Does it still happen with the latest version ?
Oh, I didn't notice that in the azure builds, will download latest and test

EDIT: Ok, it seems that latest build doesn't have this problem :D
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

I added the support for volumes to PhotonGI. Now cache entries can be created and used on volumes too:

bm2.jpg

It can increase the raw samples/sec by a 50%-100% and reduce the amount of noise too:

media.jpg

In particular, it greatly accelerate the rendering of multi-scattering volumes and it is indicated for SSS rendering.

NOTE: for obvious reasons, covering with cache entries a 3D volume is more complex than a 2D surface so there may be cases, like a large air volume for a large open scene, where it is not practical. In that case, just check the disable PGI flag for that particular volume.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Nice add ;)

this should be written in tooltips :
"NOTE: for obvious reasons, covering with cache entries a 3D volume is more complex than a 2D surface so there may be cases, like a large air volume for a large open scene, where it is not practical. In that case, just check the disable PGI flag for that particular volume."

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA