Lux measurement using Irradiance feature

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Lux measurement using Irradiance feature

Post by Dade »

It is a lot easier to start from the C++ code and leave the OpenCL code as next step. The CPU code is here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... tracer.cpp

Just looks for "irradiance" and you will find the 2 places (direct light + indirect light) where it is compute.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
pro

Post by pro »

Dade wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:57 am It is a lot easier to start from the C++ code and leave the OpenCL code as next step. The CPU code is here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... tracer.cpp

Just looks for "irradiance" and you will find the 2 places (direct light + indirect light) where it is compute.
Do you think it´s theoretically possible to readapt those pieces of code to output lux (somehow reusing directLight/indirectLight variables and than devide by m²) or did I totally misinterpreted this (my physics knowledge is not that strong in this topic)?
pro

Post by pro »

Dade wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:57 am It is a lot easier to start from the C++ code and leave the OpenCL code as next step. The CPU code is here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... tracer.cpp

.IES files carry only information about visible light, so if there is no radiation in other non-visible spectrum, illuminance should be equal to irradiance in that case. I hope that's the case in LuxCore and that heuristics in irradiance feature doesn't include radiation in other specturms? If that's right, obtained "irradiance feature" output should be just multiplied by a precalculated scalar to get illuminance.

Another question that I have related to optimization - is it possible to render only irradiance pass without rendering default passes i.e. Combined aka RGB_IMAGEPIPELINE (by commenting out lines in C++ code and recompiling)? Or Irradiance feature somehow depends on calculation of those passes?

Thank you very much for your time and help!
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

pro wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:27 am Another question that I have related to optimization - is it possible to render only irradiance pass without rendering default passes i.e. Combined aka RGB_IMAGEPIPELINE (by commenting out lines in C++ code and recompiling)? Or Irradiance feature somehow depends on calculation of those passes?
Both irradiance AOV and RGB_IMAGEPIPELINE are the product of the same process so disabling the second AOV will have no tangible benefits.
pro

Post by pro »

Dade wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:58 am Both irradiance AOV and RGB_IMAGEPIPELINE are the product of the same process so disabling the second AOV will have no tangible benefits.
Thanks for the previous hint! I further tested Irradiance AOV and its output (produced light intensity patterns a.k.a. "false color plots") correspond to illuminance (I calculated them with another software), which seems great. The relationship is linear, like this:

right_illuminance_values = linear_factor * irradiance_AOV_output

Now I want to automate search of this linear_factor: I created a room with no reflections on the walls (to reduce number of variable parameters), and I put one .ies file inside that room. I "shot" a surface with orthographic camera with Irradiance AOV and I manually calculate the factor for this .ies file (it is 5). No matter where I move the light the right factor stays the same, which look great. But when I replace .ies with another .ies, the right manually calculated factor=30 (again for all light positioning the same factor is right).

Now I'm stuck, because I don't know how could I get this relationship between the right factor and .ies file (and later on also for different reflection degrees on the walls). Do you maybe have any ideas on how to approach this - any additional explanation/information would be highly appreciated?

P.S.:
Before calculation I make sure that light's power=1 and efficacy=luminous_flux (defined in corresponding .ies).
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

As far as I remember, an IES file includes only the relative emission power profile, it doesn't include any absolute value. So it is applicable to your test if, and only if, you set an appropriate power and efficiency in blender light source definition.

I suggest you to just use a plain point light source instead of one with an IES profile. It will like using an IES file with a constant profile and it will be easy to compute the expected result by hand.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Dade, why are writing that IES file doesn't include any absolute value?

As reported here https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... 1-htm.html
chrome_2019-03-08_08-56-24.png
chrome_2019-03-08_08-56-24.png (7.23 KiB) Viewed 15226 times
So, looking at one IES file provided by a lighting manufacturer
explorer_2019-03-08_08-49-00.png
As you can see the Lumen is reported and , according to the Lumen definition, it seems an absolute value.

From wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit)
The lumen (symbol: lm) is the SI derived unit of luminous flux, a measure of the total quantity of visible light emitted by a source.
The lumen can be thought of casually as a measure of the total "amount" of visible light in some defined beam or angle, or emitted from some source. The number of candelas or lumens from a source also depends on its spectrum, via the nominal response of the human eye as represented in the luminosity function.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 am Dade, why are writing that IES file doesn't include any absolute value?
In LuxCore, the values you list are not used. The code is a direct port of old LuxRender code. The parsing of lumen per lamp filed is here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... s.cpp#L252
The read values are not used. As I wrote, the IES file is used in Lux only to build a relative (to the power * efficiency paramters) profile.

I could modify the parsing code to use the m_LumensPerLamp field to define the total power emitted by the light :idea:
pro

Post by pro »

Dade wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:42 am
marcatore wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 am Dade, why are writing that IES file doesn't include any absolute value?
In LuxCore, the values you list are not used. The code is a direct port of old LuxRender code. The parsing of lumen per lamp filed is here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... s.cpp#L252
The read values are not used. As I wrote, the IES file is used in Lux only to build a relative (to the power * efficiency paramters) profile.

I could modify the parsing code to use the m_LumensPerLamp field to define the total power emitted by the light :idea:
Is it the right approach to set power=1 and efficacy=luminous_flux in LuxCoreRender to define the right light emmision as defined in .ies file (for example in my case)? Or would a this new parser do anything else?

Also if I understood marcatore correctly, .ies file includes only visible spectrum information, and Irradiance feature (pls correct me if I'm wrong) uses only this kind information without other invisible spectrums. If that's the case, maybe a better name for this feature would be "illuminance AOV" rather that "irradiance AOV"?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

pro wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:03 pm Is it the right approach to set power=1 and efficacy=luminous_flux in LuxCoreRender to define the right light emmision as defined in .ies file (for example in my case)? Or would a this new parser do anything else?
It may be not enough, the profile is scaled by:

Code: Select all

float valueScale = data.m_CandelaMultiplier * 
		   data.BallastFactor * 
		   data.BallastLampPhotometricFactor;
here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... n.cpp#L203

They are the fields parsed after m_LumensPerLamp field in IES file: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... s.cpp#L252

So it is about understanding the relation between all the IES fields before taking any action.
pro wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:03 pm Also if I understood marcatore correctly, .ies file includes only visible spectrum information, and Irradiance feature (pls correct me if I'm wrong) uses only this kind information without other invisible spectrums. If that's the case, maybe a better name for this feature would be "illuminance AOV" rather that "irradiance AOV"?
LuxCore (and 99.99% of all rendering programs) works only in visible spectrum. So, by definition, we are talking only of the visible portion of the Irradiance like with any other LuxCore inputs/outputs.