OpenImageDenoise

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
rickyx

Re: OpenImageDenoise

Post by rickyx »

It would be interesting to have the light groups denoised too:

I'm normally rendering interiors doing a huge exr with everything inside, 3 or 4 light groups (sun, night light, extra light on sofa/desk, something more... leds ecc...) and then manually compositing and tweak it adding lights.

Is it in the plan?

Thank you,
Rickyx
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Good idea, can be added in the future.
I made an issue for these ideas: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... issues/241
kintuX

Re: OpenImageDenoise (RAM leaks?)

Post by kintuX »

Sadly am short on time, tho i managed to do a bit of play-testing yesterday and got regular crashes on one of the larger scenes.
Thus i have no data gathered to support my experience, just a description:
While observing RAM consumption in Task Manager I noticed quite a large spike, once OIDN kicks in (tho lower than with BCD). That's when the crash occurred. After further inspection I found out that RAM builds up with each & every OIDN 'action' by a some amount (?), until crashing (took 3 renders, every 4th crashed).

I also noticed this denoiser quite softens the image. :?
Maybe it's nothing (designed behavior) or might just be an 'early' implementation.
I'm just wondering, if anyone else experienced similar issue or knows in detail how OIDN works?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

I haven't noticed any softening, denoiser works great here on windows and linux too.

However regarding memory consumption:
I needed to denoise 5K image and once denoiser starts it fills up ram.
On windows it eventually finishes job anyway, but on linux it crashes blender. I don't know though if this can be handled better by denoiser itself.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Re: OpenImageDenoise (RAM leaks?)

Post by epilectrolytics »

kintuX wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:09 pm I also noticed this denoiser quite softens the image. :?
Yes, noticed that too.
With a proper albedo map there is only minimal softening (when you inspect at 1:1) but it needs a little sharpening with very small radius like 0.1.
Without an albedo map it gets worse.
Especially when compared with the more aggressive detail reconstruction of the Cycles denoiser which does not need any sharpening.
rickyx

Post by rickyx »

Me too I had a "painted look":
this is quite fine but in some cases sharp edges would be better (ex in the corner between walls and ceiling).
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Please show pictures and how many samples you rendered. More samples should improve the denoised result.
sanjinms

Post by sanjinms »

It would be helpful if we had the autorefresh interval for the OIDN denoiser during final render when DENOISED PASS is selected. :shock:
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Thanks for the suggestion, with the quick denoising time of OIDN this actually makes sense, I added it to the issue linked above.
S0rda

Post by S0rda »

Are there any settings for OIDN? To be able to adjust the radii and stuff, as in the usual bvd denoiser?