LuxCoreRender v2.2alpha1 released

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.
Fox

Re: LuxCoreRender v2.2alpha1 released

Post by Fox »

pepe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:31 pm An i7 8700k with 32G of ram look like a good option.
My dream is an 32G GPU or Radeon 7 with custom DIY silent Noctua cooler.
bobby_tables

Post by bobby_tables »

Hey Everyone,

Not sure if it is because of the alpha, or if it is general lux plugin, but I am constantly losing all material nodes.

For example when I "clear parent and keep transform" (alt+p) then "apply rotation and scale", then "apply location" using ctrl+a, all nodes are gone, but the materials remain. As if "use nodes" was unchecked. When I re-press use nodes, all the nodes are gone.

And gawd I need node groups :)

Love lux!
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

bobby_tables wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:35 pm Not sure if it is because of the alpha, or if it is general lux plugin, but I am constantly losing all material nodes.

For example when I "clear parent and keep transform" (alt+p) then "apply rotation and scale", then "apply location" using ctrl+a, all nodes are gone, but the materials remain. As if "use nodes" was unchecked. When I re-press use nodes, all the nodes are gone.
I tried to follow your steps, but I can't reproduce the problem here.
Make sure you are using Blender 2.79b (not 2.79), there was a bug that made node links break in 2.79 which was fixed in the "b" bugfix release.
bobby_tables

Post by bobby_tables »

Ah you are a genius! Sorry, I keep so many versions around, I was digging around and I had 2.79 multiple nightly builds I must have got confused about the version, it was 2.79 non-b.

Caused me loss of work! If only I could RTFM.

Is there any way to use "node groups"? I am aware blender did not open up the API for use really and that is the reason. Any workarounds you find? At the very worst, I could create like an empty and put properties on it, then somehow add this into the shader graph, so I could share raw values (float, RGB, etc) in multiple shaders. I noticed there is a link node, could that be used somehow? Like allow node links to output float, rgb, vector instead of material? (allow material to output those types as well would be required).

Another option I thought of is just using a texture and separate RGB into 3 values I can share across all shaders (or multiple textures, or vertex colors)

It's just my scene has a lot of materials per object :)

Cheers!
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

You can use a pointer node for this, it provides the output of any other node tree:
https://youtu.be/-bLR6PDk79E
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9&p=346&hilit=pointer+example#p346

It's not as powerful as Cycles node groups because it doesn't have inputs yet.