LuxCore for Maya

Discussion related to the Engine functionality, implementations and API.
User avatar
motaman
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:03 pm
Location: Mexico
Contact:

LuxCore for Maya

Post by motaman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:14 pm

:geek: anyone else interested in contributing with an implementation for maya? 8-)

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: LuxCore for Maya

Post by Dade » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:26 pm

motaman wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:14 pm
:geek: anyone else interested in contributing with an implementation for maya? 8-)
I'm afraid, it is a chicken and egg problem: you need to have something to show to attract interest of Maya users but, at the same time, you need Maya users interest to motivate someone to develop a LuxCoreRender integration. So it is probably about making the first step.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
motaman
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:03 pm
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: LuxCore for Maya

Post by motaman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:46 pm

yeah... you are right! , I will try to do the first step then.
it's going to be a pain in the ass but I really want to use it with maya :) :geek:

User avatar
alpistinho
Developer
Developer
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:38 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro

Re: LuxCore for Maya

Post by alpistinho » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Maya installs Python with your Maya installation. Maya uses Python version 2.7.11 on all supported platforms. The standalone Python shell for Maya is named mayapy.exe on Windows and mayapy on Linux and Mac OS X.
Maya still uses Python 2.7.11.
Is pyluxcore buildable against Python 2?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2505
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:08 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: LuxCore for Maya

Post by B.Y.O.B. » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:12 pm

alpistinho wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:00 pm
Maya still uses Python 2.7.11.
Is pyluxcore buildable against Python 2?
If they have a C++ API that might be easier to use.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: LuxCore for Maya

Post by Dade » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:13 pm

alpistinho wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:00 pm
Maya installs Python with your Maya installation. Maya uses Python version 2.7.11 on all supported platforms. The standalone Python shell for Maya is named mayapy.exe on Windows and mayapy on Linux and Mac OS X.
Maya still uses Python 2.7.11.
Is pyluxcore buildable against Python 2?
I have done it in the past for Cinema4D (it has the same problem of using Python v2.7). It should be possible. We can ask some help to Acasta69.

Is everything accessible by Python in Maya ? At least with C4D, there was the problem of having some feature accessible only in C++.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
motaman
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:03 pm
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: LuxCore for Maya

Post by motaman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:21 pm

hmm , python 3 support is coming soon

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-ide ... -p/7963375

idk if pluxcore is buildable agains python 2 tho...

User avatar
motaman
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:03 pm
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: LuxCore for Maya

Post by motaman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Dade wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:13 pm
alpistinho wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:00 pm
Maya installs Python with your Maya installation. Maya uses Python version 2.7.11 on all supported platforms. The standalone Python shell for Maya is named mayapy.exe on Windows and mayapy on Linux and Mac OS X.
Maya still uses Python 2.7.11.
Is pyluxcore buildable against Python 2?
I have done it in the past for Cinema4D (it has the same problem of using Python v2.7). It should be possible. We can ask some help to Acasta69.

Is everything accessible by Python in Maya ? At least with C4D, there was the problem of having some feature accessible only in C++.
yeahh! you even have pymel , everything can be accessed using python in maya
instagram: motaman.art

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: LuxCore for Maya

Post by Dade » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:28 pm

BTW, interesting initiative: https://www.vfxplatform.com (from the linked AutoDesk thread).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: LuxCore for Maya

Post by Dade » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:29 pm

motaman wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:26 pm
yeahh! you even have pymel , everything can be accessed using python in maya
So it sounds like it will a lot easier and faster to work with Python. Let's see if Acasta69 can help us :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Post Reply