OpenImageDenoise

Discussion related to the Engine functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: OpenImageDenoise

Post by Dade » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:34 pm

It is easy to re-enable old behavior (and/or add an option for that):

albedo.jpg

However you end with a lot of noise on Albedo AOV most of the times so you are somewhat back to square one.

I'm thinking to use Oidn to denoise the Albedo AOV pass (!) and than use the result for albedo input to denoise the render. Ut is a bit crazy as idea but it may work.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

provisory

Post by provisory » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Volumes also add some noise for albedo, and yet the denoising works pretty good.
Furthermore I hope, that the glass/mirror noise will disappear after a couple 100 passes.

So an option would be very nice.
I'm thinking to use Oidn to denoise the Albedo AOV pass (!) and than use the result for albedo input to denoise the render. Ut is a bit crazy as idea but it may work.
At first, it seemed like a good idea, but I'm afraid, that the fine details of textures would disappear this way.

...Or you thinking about generate two albedo channels: 1.: white for speculars, 2.: reflection/transmission blend for speculars, than denoise the 2nd one with the 1st one set as albedo channel, then use that denoised albedo for the final denoise albedo? :D

B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Dade wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:34 pm
Better test this with the standalone before investing any work, because OIDN cannot denoise arbitrary inputs. I doubt it was trained to denoise albedo AOVs.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties