PhotonGI cache

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by epilectrolytics »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:08 pmI'd like to have cache small but as high quality as possible, no random colors and dark spots etc... or maybe a step between cache and rendering to correct some samples.
I agree, if the cache could be optimised like deleting unneeded entries in dense areas or something that would reduce RAM occupation and increase render speed.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm
lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:08 pmI'd like to have cache small but as high quality as possible, no random colors and dark spots etc... or maybe a step between cache and rendering to correct some samples.
I agree, if the cache could be optimised like deleting unneeded entries in dense areas or something that would reduce RAM occupation and increase render speed.
This is going to be fixed with the accumulation of photons on visibility points (and not on 1 out of 10 random photon hit points). For indirect cache, caustic cache is a totally different beast.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 am here... Different lighting but same problem
Just switch off photongi or switch to opencl and compare results
00_concept_lux.zip
There are 2 problems:

1) The path tracing max. depth is set to 16 while the PhotonGI max. depth is set to 4. Use the same value in order to reduce the difference (and 16 is a LOT, 8 is a bit more reasonable). Indeed, smaller values will transport less light.

2) This is your direct light cache:

direct.jpg

I mean, no surprise the result is darker. Blender is still not outputting direct light cache settings (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=840&start=170#p9653). Anyway I'm going to unify direct and indirect cache so the problem will be fixed at root. None uses direct light cache anyway and it is useful only to build indirect cache.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm
lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 am here... Different lighting but same problem
Just switch off photongi or switch to opencl and compare results
00_concept_lux.zip
There are 2 problems:

1) The path tracing max. depth is set to 16 while the PhotonGI max. depth is set to 4. Use the same value in order to reduce the difference (and 16 is a LOT, 8 is a bit more reasonable). Indeed, smaller values will transport less light.

2) This is your direct light cache:

direct.jpg

I mean, no surprise the result is darker. Blender is still not outputting direct light cache settings (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=840&start=170#p9653). Anyway I'm going to unify direct and indirect cache so the problem will be fixed at root. None uses direct light cache anyway and it is useful only to build indirect cache.
I tried higher photon depth and it did reduce the difference but not by much...
So do I understand it right that you're building direct light cache to then build indirect light cache from it?
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Dade wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:30 pm This is going to be fixed with the accumulation of photons on visibility points (and not on 1 out of 10 random photon hit points). For indirect cache, caustic cache is a totally different beast.
Great, sounds like another welcome speedup!
:D
Dade wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm 1) The path tracing max. depth is set to 16 while the PhotonGI max. depth is set to 4. Use the same value in order to reduce the difference
Would it make sense to use PT maxdepth automatically for PGI in order to avoid confusion?
Also for caustic cache and specular bounces.
Or are there cases where different path depths would make sense?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm Blender is still not outputting direct light cache settings (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=840&start=170#p9653).
I thought I fixed that problem?
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... ig.py#L340
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

epilectrolytics wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 pm
Would it make sense to use PT maxdepth automatically for PGI in order to avoid confusion?
Oh, this would be good.. anything that removes editable parameters is good :D
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Anyway I'm going to unify direct and indirect cache so the problem will be fixed at root. None uses direct light cache anyway and it is useful only to build indirect cache.
Automated algo behind the scene will avoid a lot of headache for user and also help Devs not to have to expalain again and again what is running under the hood.
It will also help to have very good experience while working with Luxcore.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:29 pm
Dade wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm Blender is still not outputting direct light cache settings (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=840&start=170#p9653).
I guess I was using and older BlendLuxCore version.

This is what I working on, an old debug rendering:

old.jpg

A new code using regular visibility points:

new.jpg

The light intensity is a lot more uniform and smooth, thanks to the uniform distribution the cache look up is also 2 times faster (check the samples/sec) and independent from number of photon traced or look up radius. The pre-processing is also a lot faster.

P.S. this starts to looks exactly like a V-Ray output...
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:37 pm
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:29 pm
I guess I was using and older BlendLuxCore version.

This is what I working on, an old debug rendering:

old.jpg

A new code using regular visibility points:

new.jpg

The light intensity is a lot more uniform and smooth, thanks to the uniform distribution the cache look up is also 2 times faster (check the samples/sec) and independent from number of photon traced or look up radius. The pre-processing is also a lot faster.

P.S. this starts to looks exactly like a V-Ray output...
Oh, yes.. That looks really nice!