PhotonGI cache

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 pm btw regarding caustics, do you think that you could cache reflective caustics too? Maybe bellow certain roughness, opposite of indirect cache...
What do you mean exactly with reflective caustics ? What is the difference with normal caustics ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:38 pm
lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 pm btw regarding caustics, do you think that you could cache reflective caustics too? Maybe bellow certain roughness, opposite of indirect cache...
What do you mean exactly with reflective caustics ? What is the difference with normal caustics ?
Well I guess the normal caustics are the specular ones, like through glass etc and I call the reflected ones the ones from highly reflective material, metals etc when no clamping is applied. Atm the caustic cache works with specular materials only, no?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 pm Well I guess the normal caustics are the specular ones, like through glass etc and I call the reflected ones the ones from highly reflective material, metals etc when no clamping is applied.
Like I disable indirect cache for glossiness under 0.2, I could enable caustic cache in the same situation :idea:

However be aware that caustic cache is a lot more complex, slower, etc. to use than indirect cache (because it is seen directly).
lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 pm Atm the caustic cache works with specular materials only, no?
Yes, at the moment.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

I added the support for caustic cache to OpenCL code.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

I added the support for caustic cache to OpenCL code
Thanks. Awesome! :D
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Cache filtering is a setting that needs an update to the Blender Addon?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:07 pm Cache filtering is a setting that needs an update to the Blender Addon?
It has not yet been added to BlendLuxCore but the default value will enable it if you update the binaries.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

PhotonGI indirect cache now supports all not TRANSMIT and not SPECULAR materials (i.e. metal2, cloth, mix, glossycoatting, etc.).
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:13 pm PhotonGI indirect cache now supports all not TRANSMIT and not SPECULAR materials (i.e. metal2, cloth, mix, glossycoatting, etc.).
That was quick, will try on thursday. Now shooting wedding :(
frank_yifei

Post by frank_yifei »

For a test scene, I tried to make the caustic result look smoother so I increase lookup radius. I found a problem.
using opencl + photonGI, setting caustic lookup radius higher will crash blender. The error message is "ERROR: clEnqueueWriteBuffer
Error: Unrecognized Exception". Path cpu works well with caustic, i can set lookup radius to any value, like 100.
Indirect cache can have lookup radius at any value, under opencl or cpu
My computer have 4 core intel cpu, nvidia 1060 6gb.
Attachments
untitled.blend
(826.91 KiB) Downloaded 155 times