PhotonGI cache

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by Dade »

acasta69 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:37 am
Dade wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:27 pm Yup, may be reducing the number of concurrent compilations can solve the problem or is it a 32bit vs 64bit compiler problem :?:
I have eliminated concurrent project builds for the OpenCL version and apparently this solves the problem.
You should find again Windows OpenCL build among the daily binaries.
Total build time is only slightly longer... Maybe those VMs have too small virtual memory to handle several big builds efficiently at the same time :?:
Anyway, I'll keep looking for a more efficient solution if possible.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Just dowloaded this (2.2alpha0 OCL) on my Windows PC and opened the included Cornell file.
The engines tab shows the new Lightcachecpu engine but when I click it the application shuts down immediately including the terminal window so that I have no information about what went wrong.
Same with my own causticcube.cfg file.
All other engines work, but not as expected: PathCPU + metro shows no caustics.
There is also a Lightcpu engine (working) I don't remember: Is there a description somewhere?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:28 am The engines tab shows the new Lightcachecpu engine but when I click it the application shuts down immediately including the terminal window so that I have no information about what went wrong.
LIGHTCACHECPU is a left over from past development, it was a test render engine and it has been removed (I forget to remove the menu entry). If you load the cornell.cfg (or psor-cube.cfg), it is already configured to use the caches so it works. You can check the log output for messages like:

Code: Select all

[LuxCore][0.608] Photon GI thread count: 12
[LuxCore][0.827] Photon GI total photon traced: 270336
[LuxCore][0.827] Photon GI total direct photon stored: 209912 (258048 traced)
[LuxCore][0.827] Photon GI total indirect photon stored: 421261 (236544 traced)
[LuxCore][0.827] Photon GI total caustic photon stored: 0 (0 traced)
[LuxCore][0.827] Photon GI total radiance photon stored: 568007
[LuxCore][0.827] Photon GI building direct photons BVH
[LuxCore][0.890] Photon GI building indirect photons BVH
[LuxCore][0.991] Photon GI building radiance photon data
[LuxCore][1.795] Photon GI building radiance photons BVH
For your causticcube.cfg, you need to edit the file and add the required properties to enable the caches.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:28 am There is also a Lightcpu engine (working) I don't remember: Is there a description somewhere?
It is another test engine (it is there since the beginning). It is basically a forward renderer: it traces paths from light instead of camera, it is vaguely usable only with Metropolis sampler (and it is very good at rendering caustics).
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Dade wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:44 am LIGHTCACHECPU is a left over from past development, it was a test render engine and it has been removed (I forget to remove the menu entry). If you load the cornell.cfg (or psor-cube.cfg), it is already configured to use the caches so it works. You can check the log output for messages like:

For your causticcube.cfg, you need to edit the file and add the required properties to enable the caches.
Ah ok, thanks for clarification!

So the new PhotonGI cache is not a separate engine but works with all engines?
That's way better than I thought, will investigate further now!
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:28 am All other engines work, but not as expected: PathCPU + metro shows no caustics.
If you are talking about the psor-cube.cfg, it is configured to use a very strong clamping because caustics are handled anyway by the cache. If you want to render without the cache, you can just remove "path.clamping.variance.maxvalue" line in .cfg file.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:00 am So the new PhotonGI cache is not a separate engine but works with all engines?
It works only with PATHCPU at the moment (it will work with TILEPATHCPU in the future) and it is intended only for path tracing: it doesn't make very much sense with BiDir because BiDir already traces paths from the lights however it could be used there for "guiding" the paths as explained in the first post.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Dade wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 am It works only with PATHCPU at the moment
Ok!
I could verify that the cornell scene works with lightcache and it looks like it is faster than without.
I could copy the photonGI parameters from the cornell scene to my file and it works as well.

But a psor-cube file is not included in the build, where do I find it?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:32 am But a psor-cube file is not included in the build, where do I find it?
It's in the LuxCore sources: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... /psor-cube
You will have to clone or download them.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:32 am But a psor-cube file is not included in the build, where do I find it?
Right, you can just download a copy of LuxCore source repository from https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore (clone or download button). The scene directory includes the psor's cube scene too.