PhotonGI cache

Discussion related to the Engine functionality, implementations and API.
User avatar
lacilaci
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by lacilaci » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:52 am

Dade, how is glossines threshold handled when there is a glossines map used??

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2820
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by Dade » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:37 am

lacilaci wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:52 am
Dade, how is glossines threshold handled when there is a glossines map used??
What do you mean with glossiness map ? A texture applied to glossy UV roughness ? In that case, the average texture value is used for the comparison with the threshold.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1441
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 pm
Location: Ivory Coast

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by Sharlybg » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:40 am

But I still get weake light in GI (using same depth for photons as for GI)
Isn't that a side effect of caching being a biased Solution ? :?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2820
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by Dade » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 am

lacilaci wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:53 am
Are all shaders supported now?
Cache entries are still created only on "DIFFUSE | REFLECT" and "GLOSSY | REFLECT" materials. I will start to lift that limitation only after everything is more stable and all major problem has been fixed. We are pretty near to that point.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2820
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by Dade » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:42 am

Sharlybg wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:40 am
But I still get weake light in GI (using same depth for photons as for GI)
Isn't that a side effect of caching being a biased Solution ? :?
It is a factor but the difference is still a bit too high, there may be a bug. I will check after I have tried the same solution with caustic cache.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
lacilaci
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by lacilaci » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 am

Dade wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:42 am
Sharlybg wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:40 am
But I still get weake light in GI (using same depth for photons as for GI)
Isn't that a side effect of caching being a biased Solution ? :?
It is a factor but the difference is still a bit too high, there may be a bug. I will check after I have tried the same solution with caustic cache.
I'm also getting strong cache samples near corners (larger lookup radius helps in some cases but there is often few samples that are too bright).
It reminds me of the problem you had before, where you had strong fireflies near corners, but now it seems there are often strong cache samples near corners while more away from corner they are weaker than pathtracing.

User avatar
lacilaci
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by lacilaci » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:18 am

here's how that bleeding looks. I'm getting this everywhere (probably related to glossy reflection ?)
leaks.jpg
Last edited by lacilaci on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lacilaci
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by lacilaci » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:00 am

BTW on the topic of caustics... could reflective caustics be handled similar as gi (cache not directly visible) and specular caustics separately(directly visible)?

User avatar
Dade
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2820
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by Dade » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am

lacilaci wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:18 am
here's how that bleeding looks. I'm getting this everywhere (probably related to glossy reflection ?)
My Blender 2.79b says the scene has been written with 2.80 and crashes :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

User avatar
lacilaci
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by lacilaci » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:21 am

Dade wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am
lacilaci wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:18 am
here's how that bleeding looks. I'm getting this everywhere (probably related to glossy reflection ?)
My Blender 2.79b says the scene has been written with 2.80 and crashes :?:
I'm sorry, wrong file...

here:
00_concept_lux.zip
(5.12 MiB) Downloaded 23 times

Post Reply