Mac OS

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
patrickwalker

Re: Mac OS

Post by patrickwalker »

jensverwiebe wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:31 pm Thats all still odd, cause i don't need any of these tweaks to config/generate/compile.
Something must go wrong for you with the sdk setup initially.

Btw: SET(EMBREE_FOUND ON) can be commented as well cause the findmodule now works.
I only used it with hardcoded pathes to satisfy findmodules eventuallly.

Jens
Updated the cmake in the previous post.

Plopped this updated cmake back on my High Sierra machine (I think I finally killed my Sierra computer last night) and it works for alpha3 without any hiccup.
patrickwalker

Post by patrickwalker »

Turns out my PSU for my old MacBook Air (10.12) was dead. Seems to work fine now, though I haven't tried compiling alpha6 on it yet.

I tried compiling 2.0a6 on my iMac (10.13.3) and it fails at link.

Warns that libstdc++ is deprecated in favour of libc++ now but tells me that macos is missing lib/Debug directory. Has the macos set of files been altered, and if so, I can't seem to find that link again. Creating the lib/Debug directory only clears the warning and link errors remain. I don't know if there are files in that folder that 2.0a6 is looking for or if the existing files in the macos file archive has been changed.

These are the link errors:

_rtcThreadLocalAlloc
_rtcBuildBVH
_rtcDeleteBVH
_rtcNewBVH
_rtcNewInstance2
_rtcSetTransform2

Has the macos bundle of files been changed since 2.0a4?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

patrickwalker wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:34 pm These are the link errors:

_rtcThreadLocalAlloc
_rtcBuildBVH
_rtcDeleteBVH
_rtcNewBVH
_rtcNewInstance2
_rtcSetTransform2
You are linking with an older version of Embree library, may be you updated Embree by hand in the past.
patrickwalker wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:34 pm Has the macos bundle of files been changed since 2.0a4?
Nope.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
patrickwalker

Post by patrickwalker »

I updated the Embree version to 3.0. Not sure how to copy what's necessary into macos folder or really how to force cmake or linker to use installed files.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

patrickwalker wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 pm I updated the Embree version to 3.0. Not sure how to copy what's necessary into macos folder or really how to force cmake or linker to use installed files.
Embree v3.0 has broken the compatibility with v2.x so it can not be used. You have to use the last v2.x available (v2.17.3): https://github.com/embree/embree/releases/tag/v2.17.3
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Vutshi

Post by Vutshi »

Hi,
I tried to compile LuxCore in macOS and unsurprising got problems. First I checked that the old version of Luxrays compiles ok. Then I updated the necessary libraries from the blender-darwin and tried to compile the master branch of LuxCore. I used the Config_OSX.cmake published in this thread. All libraries were found except openCL and the compilation started. It stoped with 2 errors like this:

Code: Select all

LuxCore-master/src/slg/film/imagepipeline/plugins/bcddenoiser.cpp:213:29: error: 
      no viable constructor copying variable of type 'unique_ptr<bcd::IDenoiser>'
        unique_ptr<bcd::IDenoiser> denoiser = nullptr;

Code: Select all

LuxCore-master/deps/bcd-1.1/include/bcd/core/IDenoiser.h:76:36: error: 
      expected expression
                IDenoiser() : m_progressCallback([](float){}) {}
If I try to compile LuxCore v2.0 which seems to have no denoiser then Embree library can not be found for some reason.
212antt

My Own efforts of Compiling on MacOS

Post by 212antt »

My own efforts involve using the old bitbucket macOS dependencies folder, updated with the Windows compile deps for Luxcore. By adding cl.hpp 1.2.7 to the Xcode MacOS SDK's OpenCL framework, resolving any OpenCL issues. When compiling the Master Branch, I avoided the config from this thread as it was not needed. Otherwise it compiles like a charm in Xcode when compiled under gnu++14 and libc++, leaving only memory issues when running any of the binaries. The issue with luxcoreconsole is: Thread 1: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0xfffffffffffffff0), and other similar memory issues pop up, with this line causing my issues for now: YY_CURRENT_BUFFER_LVALUE = new_buffer; in luxlex.cpp.
robbrown
Developer
Developer

Post by robbrown »

I managed to get it to compile on 10.12 without OpenCL so far, mainly for simplicity on getting it running. :lol:

Reconstructing the LinuxCompile build script for making the required MacOS dependencies, then made some basic changes to the Platform and Config_OSX cmake files and a nasty looking cmake call got it working. There is some weirdness with linking to some of the libraries like OpenImageIO and OpenMP so I need to clean that up before pushing something to GitHub. Also had to do some mac brew install stuff for a newer version of bison and cmake so need to sort that out as well.

My plan is to get a repo made for constructing the mac dependencies and then fork LuxCore once I get some of the oddities cleaned up.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Nice!
robbrown
Developer
Developer

Post by robbrown »

Now that I have it building on a fork in TravisCI I have a few questions before submitting a Pull Request.

What versions of OS X do we want to support? I don't recommend we go back to 10.6 as was before due to updates of libraries like boost. Seems like 10.10 is maybe the oldest we should go since that's the oldest TravisCI has unless there's a solid reason for something older.

It looks like the Linux and Windows Deps uses two repos, I made a single one for Mac because that's what the bitbucket version had. I opted to use the build scripts and tar.gz artifacts method the LinuxCompileDeps did for Travis builds, is there a specific need for two Deps repos in the new Lux Core builds? Also how best to handle a pull request of a whole new repo?

As far as output artifacts, currently it's just building the binaries and libraries in the build directory. I see the BitBucket one made Mac OS Applications, and Mac OS Install Packages. I'm assuming we want those, the bigger question is how and where. Maintainer builds Mac OS version on a local server and puts them in GitHub release? Travis dumps to an S3 somewhere (probably costly for a free project) for Artifacts to be globed, opt to move towards App Store delivery and see if it's possible to wrap that into Travis CI on Release process?