reading flm files

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
bartek_zgo

reading flm files

Post by bartek_zgo »

Hi guys,
I have a file flm created by luxcore 2.5beta1 under linux.
I wan to open it (using sdk) under windows, where I have luxcore 2.5rc1. I get an error. Is it reverse compatible or no?
If I create flm file under windows and read it under windows it works.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: reading flm files

Post by Dade »

bartek_zgo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:22 pm I have a file flm created by luxcore 2.5beta1 under linux.
I wan to open it (using sdk) under windows, where I have luxcore 2.5rc1. I get an error. Is it reverse compatible or no?
If I create flm file under windows and read it under windows it works.
Since we dropped the support for Boost portable achieves, they may not work across different OS :?: Or, more likely compilers, the long type has probably different size on Window and Linux, etc.

P.S. are you using official binaries ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
bartek_zgo

Post by bartek_zgo »

No. I have compiled it on my own. I will try to download official one. But if they can not work across different OS this is very bad for me. We do all renders under linux. In most cases we deliver an exr file for user. But we want to give e feature to send flm file to adjust lights. How can I do this?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

bartek_zgo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:10 pm But we want to give e feature to send flm file to adjust lights. How can I do this?
You can save an .exr for each light group and than combine them on client software: the result is just the sum of each .exr scaled according the user light group scale. This probably more efficient than transmitting the .flm (.exr file format is a lot more compact). However you loose the image pipeline post processing (you have to do it on client) so may be not applicable.

If my memory is not wrong, you submitted the patch for removing Boost portable achieves.

As far as I know, the only portable format supported by Boost is the Text/XML one however I don't know if it processing time and size may become prohibitive.
bartek_zgo

Post by bartek_zgo »

For sure I didn't submitted the patch for removing Boost. You've asked me if I'm using official libraries. But I can not find precompiled SDK for 2.5
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

bartek_zgo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:49 pm For sure I didn't submitted the patch for removing Boost.
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore/pull/178

EOS is what Boost portable archives are.
bartek_zgo

Post by bartek_zgo »

Ciao Dade,
I'm not bartoszek. bartek_zgo != bartoszek
bartek_zgo

Post by bartek_zgo »

Don't you thing that this is quite strange idea to have a file that depends on OS. I understand that because of performance issues a temporary file may be written in OS dependent way. But the output file should be independent. So at this moment as I understand, if I have to machines one Win other Linux, I can not start render on both of them and than merge the flm files. I remember in old luxrender there was a very nice light editor. I could make a render and than send flm file to my friend to play with it. Now all this stuff is not possible.
Don't you think that it wold be nice to normalize flm files? Maybe some post process after render. Maybe a plugin to pipeline?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

bartek_zgo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:49 am Don't you think that it wold be nice to normalize flm files?
As I wrote, it may be possible to use Boost Text/XML archive format to achieve portability. Pyluxcore tools "merge" could be extended to convert between binary and text format.
bartek_zgo

Post by bartek_zgo »

Thanks Dade, I think using Text/XML archive is not a good idea. They will be huge. Am I right? I will try your previous suggetion to create one exr for each light group.