Luxcore 2.6 suggestion

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
JulianoLisboa

Luxcore 2.6 suggestion

Post by JulianoLisboa »

Hello friends, I have been trying to learn luxcore in depth, I know that sometimes I ask stupid questions and make silly mistakes, but it is part of learning. I use Luxcore as my main renderer in Blender and I am a great evangelist for him here in Brazil. I participate in several Blender groups and I always show my work there, and I always try to compare it with cycles showing the advantages.
I've convinced a lot of people to use it, but they always complain to me about the speed of the viewport. Today a great name from the Brazilian Archviz told me that he does not use and does not recommend Luxcore because of its slower viewport than cycles. His channel has more than 20 thousand subscribers. Another Brazilian channel that also speaks very well about luxcore but does not do content yet because of the viewport has today 6,500 paying students in its courses.

So my suggestion is that in version 2.6 the viewport is a priority, because 90% of the complaints here in Brazil are on her account.

Everyone here is surprised by the Luxcore features and only the viewport view causes disappointment.

Thank you for your effort, as soon as things get better here in Brazil due to the pandemic, I will make my monthly donation for the beautiful work of all.

Sincerely,

Juliano Lisboa

One of the groups I participate in has 788 users
grupo blender.png
jfcalcena

Re: Luxcore 2.6 suggestion

Post by jfcalcena »

Yes, I agree with Juliano Lisboa's argument and request. I even discouraged myself from using Luxcore because of the slow preview of its viewport. If there is a noticeable improvement, I would definitely migrate my workflow with Luxcore. I am in favor of the development in the very near future of this part of the viewport.

Thanks for the hard work guys!
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

It would help to specify what hardware you're using, with what kind of scenes and how you have your interactive viewport set?
Accompanying a screen capture video comparing LuxCore's rendered viewport to Cycles's would be even better.

BTW, you can make 90%+ stuff using Cycles viewport and simply switch to LuxCore for final rendering.

In my case there's no noticeable difference in latency between the two.
JulianoLisboa

Post by JulianoLisboa »

kintuX wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:01 am It would help to specify what hardware you're using, with what kind of scenes and how you have your interactive viewport set?
Accompanying a screen capture video comparing LuxCore's rendered viewport to Cycles's would be even better.

BTW, you can make 90%+ stuff using Cycles viewport and simply switch to LuxCore for final rendering.

In my case there's no noticeable difference in latency between the two.
Hello friend, you did not understand my post, this is not a problem that I face, it is a situation reported by 90% of people who try to use Luxcore instead of Cycles. They are already used to the speed of cycles in the viewport and want something similar at Luxcore. I don't like guessing, but if the development team does a poll, most will respond negatively about the Luxcore viewport. What I'm doing is asking for an improvement if possible so that more users will have Luxcore as the main renderer like me.

Sincerely,

Juliano Lisboa
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Maybe it would help if you can flesh out your wishes a bit better. Which part of the viewport speed is it that bothers you most and what do you suggest?

I for myself find the Material Preview mode OK but it's still laggy on my system as it basically seems to be a reduced Rendered mode. I can increase the pixel size which speeds up things a bit, but in doing so, this affects the Rendered mode as well and I always have to switch back and forth. So at least having this independent for Material Preview mode and Rendered mode would help a little albeit not be the ultimate solution.
johannes.wilde

Post by johannes.wilde »

LuxCore has become pretty fast with it's viewport. I made a quick comparison myself with a pretty detailed interior scene. There is no big gap between Cycles (actually i used E-Cycles) and LuxCore 2.5. The Optix Denoiser however seems to work more accurate on glass materials in Cycles for some reason. I always struggled with the init time for (viewport)rendering. But it's close to Cycles in my case as well - and of course - can never be fast enough ;)
What i think would be cool features for a good viewport experience is these two

1. For setting up materials V-Ray has something like a mask. If viewport rendering is active, you can select the objects you want to work with, and it is isolating them by drawing a black mask around it, so that just these objects rendered, but with all the reflections and so on from the original scene. I think it's a very cool feature to have fast rendering and in the same time you can see, how good your shader works in the scene.

2. Octane can handle GPU viewport very good with setting up shaders, there is no lag or short hang-up of the interface when creating and connecting nodes, textures etc. That feels really good and makes working in GPU viewport smooth and comfortable (like CPU in LuxCore). I do not know exactly, if i remember that right, but i think i once read, that they reserve a core just for that task.

Enough for now. If there is a need, i can make a quick comparison Video on the viewports of Cycles and LuxCore from the scene i used.

Cheers,
Johannes
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

johannes.wilde wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:55 am I made a quick comparison
Do not quickly compare, but really try to work daily, all projects in Luxcore. I am sure, soon you will understand what is going on. This part of Luxcore does need strong developers. But they bypass this problem. Prefer her not to notice. It really does not make it possible to work with Luxcore. With all the property entities of this rendering - its real use is still not possible.
I do not know why new textures are being developed.
I do not understand why new opportunities are being created.
I do not understand what makes dade and byob.
No Cryptomate - No Summary Projects.
While there is no quick pre-rendering window - no daily routine projects.

Luxcore is good, but he still goes wrong.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2521&start=10
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/
johannes.wilde

Post by johannes.wilde »

Dez! wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:25 pm Do not quickly compare, but really try to work daily, all projects in Luxcore. I am sure, soon you will understand what is going on. This part of Luxcore does need strong developers. But they bypass this problem. Prefer her not to notice. It really does not make it possible to work with Luxcore. With all the property entities of this rendering - its real use is still not possible.

What do you mean? Just because i threw in a scene i finished in Cycles and LuxCore that does not say I'm not used to work with it on a daily basis.
I think it's more useful do give feedback and critique in way, that is more pushing in a positive and constructive way that firing up a rant.
JulianoLisboa

Post by JulianoLisboa »

Dez! wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:25 pm
johannes.wilde wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:55 am I made a quick comparison
Do not quickly compare, but really try to work daily, all projects in Luxcore. I am sure, soon you will understand what is going on. This part of Luxcore does need strong developers. But they bypass this problem. Prefer her not to notice. It really does not make it possible to work with Luxcore. With all the property entities of this rendering - its real use is still not possible.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2521&start=10

hello i think you were very rude Dez! The developers do a very good job, and they gain nothing from it. This way you will be surprised at the incredible work they have done. My suggestion to speed up the viewport was to bring more users, but the way it is today to work smoothly. So I think a little humility to you will not hurt.

Byob and Dade, keep up the great work, we can only thank you.
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

It's a thin line between honest, dry, constructive feedback and being mean. And it's hard to judge one's demeanor in this virtual, faceless world. Adding a bit of a language barrier can diffuse things even more. I've been accused of being "mean" myself on several occasion while only being rational and always trying to keep it constructive. Then there sometimes is frustration and anger, mostly towards the situation and hardly ever against people. Sometimes it's all a real mess.

Nobody doubts, that the developers do great work here - and for free above all. But I also understand a bit of frustration and impatience as Luxcore has come so far over time and for many of us is almost not there but not quite yet. And once you see the finish line, the last few yards can feel like forever. We might not be on the search for alternatives that desperately, if Cycles would have been worked on a bit more. Bit not a lot has happened there for a while. And all the other renderers are "interesting" as well. But each of them lacks something that once again prevents a switch away from Cycles. It's a weird situation.

What I find a bit frustrating as well is, that there doesn't seem to be a great reach out from the Blender Foundation towards small projects like this. Of course I'm only guessing here. But I'm sure if they could set a bit of a workload aside to support projects like Luxcore, E-Cycles, Appleseed etc. so that the integration into Blender could be less problematic.

For what I do, Luxcore is the closest to an alternative to Cycles. Still missing one or two things (bevel shader, the recent normal/bump issue?) to be able to replace it completely, but I'm hopeful those last steps will be done sooner than later. The addition of the mapping randomization was a huge step in the right direction for me. I'm also curious about Renderman, but it's a bit silent on that front as well, so this still might take a bit of time.

Keep going guys. It's exciting to see what the future brings.