Luxcore vs real Photo

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Luxcore vs real Photo

Post by Sharlybg »

Hi ,
I'm trying to match real photography of different material from matte pure white lime to copper and carpaint etc ...
The scene is a the exact reproduction of the real one.While everything get almost matched 95% i still struggle with
Color bleeding effect strenght compared to real photo i have way less color bleeding.
Maxwell render confirm the issue (the bleeding effect proportion was closer to real camera )

SONY A7 Camera
Copper vs Matte SONY.jpeg
Maxwell render
copper Max vs Max matte.jpeg
Luxcore Bidir 64+64 deph
Lux copper vs white _ bleeding.jpg
As you can see lux is the less bleeding one. now wonder if it is something user can control or if it is related to maxwell being spectral or simply how to close that Gap.
Last edited by Sharlybg on Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Luxcore vs real Photo

Post by Dade »

Maxwell material has clearly an higher roughness than the one used for LuxCore. Increase LuxCore roughness if you want a more blurred reflection.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Dade wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:30 pm Maxwell material has clearly an higher roughness than the one used for LuxCore. Increase LuxCore roughness if you want a more blurred reflection.
Yes but what i'm talking about is ball color spreading on surrounding white surface.
Edit
I mean look how pink the Real photo white surface is becoming.

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Here is how pink surronding become :
real copper.jpg
And here is lux :
Re Lux copper.jpg

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

And even With a much more saturated shader for lux vs normal real photo color :
real copper vs Lux copper.jpg

CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Did you do a white-balance calibration of the camera?

Edit: Or to put this into an experimental form: What does a picture with the exact same camera settings look like if you just remove the copper sphere?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

CodeHD wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:10 pm Did you do a white-balance calibration of the camera?

Edit: Or to put this into an experimental form: What does a picture with the exact same camera settings look like if you just remove the copper sphere?
here is the Real photo with only backgrd material even on the ball :
AAAAREF.jpg

Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

This doesn't make very much sense: the white box material is clearly different, you can see "bumps" in real white material while they are not modeled in Lux.

box.jpg

You have to get the same white box before to try anything more complex.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Dade wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:10 pm This doesn't make very much sense: the white box material is clearly different, you can see "bumps" in real white material while they are not modeled in Lux.

box.jpg

You have to get the same white box before to try anything more complex.
Do you mean real geometry bumps or simple bump or normal map can do the trick ? because except that size and position are equal.

CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

It will be very difficult to know what is the ground truth, at least some info on the scales would be helpful: Sphere size, room dimensions, location of camera and lights. Also, is that a softbox light? What type of light source is used?

Couple of observations from the images:

- According to the metadata, the real copper image has been processed with GIMP, while the white image shows no such tag?
- Other than that, the histograms look realatively similar and consistent w.r.t. the changes you would expect from the difference of the materials.
- In the white ball image, the RGB values in the background are exactly equal, so I assume some form of white balance is going on.
- Assuming that the real image is absolute: From the different ratios (green/red on the sphere and on the wall) I estimate thate the sphere contributes 8% to the background, which is already in close proximity to the sphere. I'm not sure, but I feel there should be a bigger gradient. (This is where the room size etc is needed)

Re Dade's comment, I don't think the type of paint will make relatively little difference for what you are asking here (The scale of the bumps is far below the size of the sphere, there will still be lots of illumination everywhere). Though it's still something you can improve if you want the ultimate comparison.

And another separate difference: You seem to have more vignetting in the photo than Luxcore --> lens parameters not equal?