Optix denoiser imagepipeline plugin

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Optix denoiser imagepipeline plugin

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The Optix denoiser is not used in the addon yet.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

@Dade, do you think it would make sense to add a "minimum samples per pixel" parameter to the denoiser imagepipeline plugins? Where the plugin would do nothing until the spp are above the minimum threshold.
It would be easier than checking the Samples/pixel in the addon and update the imagepipeline based on the results.

The reason is that OptiX returns an image with big black squares when there aren't enough samples, and this leads to heavy flickering when moving the camera around.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:36 pm @Dade, do you think it would make sense to add a "minimum samples per pixel" parameter to the denoiser imagepipeline plugins? Where the plugin would do nothing until the spp are above the minimum threshold.
It would be easier than checking the Samples/pixel in the addon and update the imagepipeline based on the results.

The reason is that OptiX returns an image with big black squares when there aren't enough samples, and this leads to heavy flickering when moving the camera around.
I noticed this problem happens only if you use the ALBEDO+NORMAL AOVs (new feature, supported only by Optix v7.1) so a possible solution would be to use only ALBEDO AOV (supported also by Optix v7.0) for preview. It is a bit strange as behavior and, at first, I have classified it as a possible beta driver bug.

The alternative would be to wait a bit of samples/pixel, as you wrote, however it isn't very clear where the threshold should be and you may still end with some black tile.
In this case, you can define 2 pipelines, one without Optix and one with and than use the first one for few samples/pixel and switch to the second one after. So you will not have to do any scene edit (probably causing a restart of the render).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 pm The alternative would be to wait a bit of samples/pixel, as you wrote, however it isn't very clear where the threshold should be and you may still end with some black tile.
In this case, you can define 2 pipelines, one without Optix and one with and than use the first one for few samples/pixel and switch to the second one after. So you will not have to do any scene edit (probably causing a restart of the render).
Editing the imagepipeline would not cause a scene edit either.

Anyway, I would make this feature user-configurable, because some might prefer a bit of noise during the first x samples rather than a completeyl smudgy image, even if the black tiles thing is a bug that is eventually fixed.
From a programming perspective, I think it would be much easier to do this check in the imagepipeline plugin than in the Blender addon, so if you are OK with this, I would add it there.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:44 pm From a programming perspective, I think it would be much easier to do this check in the imagepipeline plugin than in the Blender addon, so if you are OK with this, I would add it there.
It should be easy to add as an additional plugin option.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Are we going to have this same behaviour a the end :?: : https://youtu.be/oYjrnsKzApM?t=28

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Yes, pretty much.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:39 pm Yes, pretty much.
Top :geek:

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Odilkhan Yakubov

Post by Odilkhan Yakubov »

Is there has any release date on optixdenoiser?
Donor
Donor

Post by juangea »

I dare to say... when it´s ready in alpha builds and the release date for 2.5 in general will be... when it´s ready :)

Now, regarding the availability in alpha builds, as soon as BYOB finishes it you will be able to test it, as always :)