LuxCore Online Library (LOL)

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
neo2068
Developer
Developer

Post by neo2068 »

Introduction
There is a new feature integrated in the BlendLuxCore addon: The LuxCore Online Library: The library offers a variety of assets to build up new scenes. The assets are created and provided by Charles Nandeya Ehouman (Sharlybg). The asset bar is based on the blenderkit addon in blender.
LuxCoreLibrary.jpg

Access and Short Manual
You can access the library via the UI Panel on the right side of the 3D viewport. To display the asset bar click on the 'Asset bar' button. After loading the assets from the server there are different categories available. The assets can be scrolled with the scoll wheel of the mouse. If you want to add an asset to the scene you can drag the thumbnail into the scene. The asset will be placed on the ground plane or on the surface of another object if there is one which will be intersected. While in drag mode there is the bounding box of the asset and an arrow for the front side. The asset can be rotated with the scroll wheel in 90° steps. If the asset is dragged into the scene for the first time, it will be downloaded form the server and cached locally. An already cached asset is indicated via the green bar beneath the thumbnail.
The asset bar can be translated with the middle mouse button and resized on the edges with the left mouse button.
You can choose if the asset should be linked or appended in the panel. Mixing of linking and appending can lead to unpredicted behaviour due to a blender bug. It is better to choose one of the two methods and keep it for the project.

Demo
There is a short demo video available on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQjoxbEDWM

Donation
To support the artist for creating new content you can donate on his patreon account (https://www.patreon.com/Draviastudio). Or support the LuxCore team on bountysource (https://salt.bountysource.com/teams/luxcorerender) for further development of the library, e.g. material database.
i7 5820K, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 SUPER + GTX 1080, Windows 10 64bit, Blender 2.83.5
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: LuxCore Online Library (LOL)

Post by Sharlybg »

Amazing stuff Neo.
Now i should make a nice presentation video on dravia youtube.
Thank you so much :D

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Just to know:
is it possible to add models? If yes, how is it possible to prevent to update copyrighted models?
I suggest, if models upload is permitted, to make disclaimer about this.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Just to know:
is it possible to add models? If yes, how is it possible to prevent to update copyrighted models?
I suggest, if models upload is permitted, to make disclaimer about this.
That is a nice question. Atm it is a problem i really want to avoid as much as possible. I currently have a clear idea of what this Library should look like in the futur. I want it to be high quality very large CCO library assets for Luxcore.
So from the beginning and before a controlled environement is set to Prevent Quality/Copyright issue i prefer to keep it closed to public.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
neo2068
Developer
Developer

Post by neo2068 »

Upload ist not possible because we have no user authorization on the web server to control access rights.
i7 5820K, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 SUPER + GTX 1080, Windows 10 64bit, Blender 2.83.5
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Please, allow option to disable it altogether.
Consider, some might use other asset managers, have their own libraries and/or are on metered connection.

For now at least post what to comment out.

TIA

PS
IMO it would be best for LOL and BlendLuxCore to be separated addons. Especially because of development/bugfixing/issues sake.
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

Generally I like the idea of having a set of tested Materials at hand.
Some Stones, some metals a bit of Glas.
Maybe also some sort of stage with ready-made lights.
This would make usage for beginners much easier.
However this implementation just leaded to the 5th Blender crash between loading the assets.
Its not stable here (ok i am using 2.90).
Maybe it should first download the assets, i assume the problem arises because the online connection is not so good currently.
Also the assets should be sorted in a way they are good starting points for own projects.
Assets that you can not change later do not make much sense.

The point is, Luxcore needs own materials. You can (in most cases) not just use the Evee and Cycles Materials.
So why not give the user a lot of materials, that are done by experienced users right at hand?
And there is nothing against a Online Library with Objects.
But it must be stable.

From first tests I would say that its more stable if i use CPU instead of CUDA.
Just switching from CPU to CUDA sometimes leads to a immediate Blender shutdown, no error message.
Also the thumbnails may not even appear if CUDA is enabled by default.
But even then with CPU, a simple Click on one of the downloaded assets, crashed Blender sometimes.
While the assets are very well designed, the system looks like Alpha-Stuff, not even Beta. At least here.

And let me add that such a system for materials would be much more important then with assets.
Like Blenderkit, just for Luxrender.

Sidenote, also Blenderkit and Blendermada who offers this sort of Materials for cycles and Evee do not always work as expected.
The only material management system that works most often is here the VX-Material Library.
The Materials Management is a weak Point in Blender - as it is.
Also the way how Blender currently updates ... is not state-of-the-Art.
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
neo2068
Developer
Developer

Post by neo2068 »

The luxcore library doesn't use cuda or rendering at all. There should be no difference between cpu or cuda. What is do you use? Can you start blender from command line and post the error log if there is any?
neo2068
Developer
Developer

Post by neo2068 »

kintuX wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:12 am Please, allow option to disable it altogether.
Consider, some might use other asset managers, have their own libraries and/or are on metered connection.

For now at least post what to comment out.

TIA

PS
IMO it would be best for LOL and BlendLuxCore to be separated addons. Especially because of development/bugfixing/issues sake.
If you do not activate the asset bar in the LoL panel there is no download at all but the option to disable the addon is a good point. I will put an option in the preferences.
neo2068
Developer
Developer

Post by neo2068 »

Theo_Gottwald wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:31 am Assets that you can not change later do not make much sense.
What do you mean with that? The standard way to insert an asset is to link it. Then it cannot be changed and all data is loaded from external file. If you want to change the asset, e.g. geometry or materials then you have to switch to append mode in the panel.