LuxCoreRender Project wants you!

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: LuxCoreRender Project wants you!

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

CodeHD wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:50 pm Hi,

I am currently trying to read myself a bit thorugh the C++ code to get some better understanding of how it works, but it is difficult for me to see how the different bits and pieces connect.
While I know general C++ syntax, I have never done a project like this in this language (I worked more in python), so I lack the experience or the feeling for where to expect the connecting code.

What I am looking for is a bit of an introduction, something like "The directory /samples/luxcoreui/... contains the user interface. The function to read scene is in /xyz/abc.cpp. When you start a render, the selected render engine is connceted to the sampelr by the code in the file /src/abc/xyz.cpp, then the bvh traversal in ..." etc.

If that example doesn't help: I just want to get some help about how to dig through the code :D
This could be a could thing to have as a pinned and locked thread.
Here's a bit on the OpenCL side: https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Jbak ... /LuxRender
A tutorial on writing imagepipeline plugins: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/Writing_ ... ine_Plugin
And here's an incomplete one on how to add a texture, unfortunately I never finished it: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/Implementing_a_Texture

Apart from these (probably not too helpful) pointers I can only recommend to install a powerful IDE/text editor where you can click on a class name to go to the definition, easily switch header/source and so on, this helps a lot when exploring the source code.
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't looking for a whole book, don't worry ;) The links provided by B.Y.O.B. are a good start, I should read them first.

A the moment I am still stuck with installing all sorts of IDEs and dependencies (new computer). I am at the point where it compiles luxcore without warnings, but I can't run anything becasue of missing dlls.

Also, installing Visual Studio with multiple language packs seems to have been a bad idea. The start menu entries for the different command prompts are mixed trilingual between english, german and italian, and its not the same language as it executes :roll:

I will come back to specific questions once i have this sh*t figured out...
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Dade wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:04 pm Pick a specific topic: textures, image pipeline plugin, camera, volumes or whatever and start to try to understanding a specific aspect.
I've started now to get familiar with the camera. Seems like a good starting point so far. I now have to work myself through all the derived-class function-implementations :)

My idea for an exercise (after gaining the neccessary understanding) is implementing a "detector", as I worked around here with a matte-translucent slab + ortho camera:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=793&start=10#p8335

For after that, I thought of continuing with the light sources, with the practical exercise of figuring out issue #2 in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=943

Do you think this is a good idea, or do you have any objections to starting like this?
motaman

Post by motaman »

Plugin/exporter developer :twisted: maya
instagram: motaman.art
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Hi.
In the last luxrender, I was one of 3dsmax plugin developer Omid Ghotbi (TAO). And I'm curious if I can continue my work.
Thank you.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

TAO wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:55 pm Hi.
In the last luxrender, I was one of 3dsmax plugin developer Omid Ghotbi (TAO). And I'm curious if I can continue my work.
Thank you.
This is good news 😊
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

TAO wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:55 pm In the last luxrender, I was one of 3dsmax plugin developer Omid Ghotbi (TAO). And I'm curious if I can continue my work.
Indeed, sure :!:
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

That's great.
Here is my GitHub id: omidt.gh@gmail.com
please add my id so I can upload the last code and start working on it.
Also, I need access to the forum (LuxMax plugin) to moderate it, of course, if it's possible and access to write LuxMax wiki too.
Thank you so much.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

TAO wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:47 am That's great.
Here is my GitHub id: omidt.gh@gmail.com
please add my id so I can upload the last code and start working on it.
Also, I need access to the forum (LuxMax plugin) to moderate it, of course, if it's possible and access to write LuxMax wiki too.
I invited you on GitHub and created a new empty repository for 3ds Max: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/MaxLuxCore
You should have read/write access as soon as you accept the invite. I created also the Wiki account, you should have received an email with the temporary password.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Thank you so much, I renamed the forum topic to MaxLuxCore as you named it in github.