BlendLuxCore: Save image while render is paused

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: BlendLuxCore: Save image while render is paused

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I don't know, I find it a bit of a convoluted workflow.

Why don't you just mix the lightgroups in the compositor? There you can save multiple outputs with the file output node. And you also have live updates.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Why don't you just mix the lightgroups in the compositor? There you can save multiple outputs with the file output node. And you also have live updates.
It isn't as natural as mixing directly everything to the desired intensity / color temperature then save do it again and save. with the compositor it is so long. you have to mix Y to A + b to C ( make C a bit greener or redish) with node. It long unpleasant and decrease the potential of this feature.

I've use the compositor and directly do my stuff on the render by playing with Light groups. it isn't the same especially if you deal with more than 5 lights groups.

Save in render mode is also a NUKe feature allowing us to save a render at different stage. instead of rerender or do some complicated renderseed blablabla setting :roll:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Even with the current implementation i'm a lot free compared to the compositor slow way. I can make dozens of variation in few click. It is a BOMB :D .
Sadly it save only Untonemapped file. :oops:

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

All that in less than a minute :
2020-04-06-22-50-41.png
2020-04-06-22-51-01.png
2020-04-06-22-51-14.png
2020-04-06-22-51-44.png
Just few click.

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Just miss tonemapping !

B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

But editing the light groups also has the disadvantage that it's not easy to re-create the same various lightgroup settings after you re-render after some client changes. With the compositor, you just re-render and you're done.

Another thing: currently light groups are not denoised in BlendLuxCore, but in the compositor, you can use the Blender OIDN node to denoise them after you are done mixing them.

Maybe I can create a node group that makes it easier to mix light groups in the compositor.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

But editing the light groups also has the disadvantage that it's not easy to re-create the same various lightgroup settings after you re-render after some client changes. With the compositor, you just re-render and you're done.
Nope. As far as i have my older render as ref i can make it look the same effortless. I even do every day by reproducing real life photography.
Maybe I can create a node group that makes it easier to mix light groups in the compositor.
Do this will allow the same flexibility ? Change color / temperature. Change light power strenght. Mix with exactly kind of current light group implémentation.
If yes that is great.

B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:48 pm
Do this will allow the same flexibility ? Change color / temperature. Change light power strenght. Mix with exactly kind of current light group implémentation.
If yes that is great.
Yes.

I attached a basic setup, which can only do gain control of lightgroups.
Tomorrow, I'll add temperature and color controls and bundle it into a node group.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

hmm.. terrible workflow. this feature is a bit unwieldy and it's just another thing that shows how beneficial it would be for luxcore to have it's own framebuffer with lightmixer and tonemapping controls.

It's no easy task, i understand but with cusom standalone framebuffer:

1. luxcore could have it's own tonemapping controls independent from DCC so all integrations to any package would produce 1:1 final image possibly without need to further postprocess the image (like corona)

2. we could have denoising mixing (not hard to do in blender compositor but how would you control this in max integration or other sw??)

3. lightmix controls (like maxwell or again corona)

4. save intermediate results during rendering

5. Having a standalone executable that renders the scene could allow to just shut blender down while rendering, or maybe even export scene->shutdown blender->open luxcore standalone framebuffer->render with maybe less memory footprint than having blender open?

6. if rendered output would also be saved in some custom format for luxcore vfb, tonemapping changes and lightmixing etc could be done on existing rendering with just the framebuffer

7.if scene exists framebuffer could resume rendering

8.features like ocio, custom lut loader and mixer etc, all independent on blender's "color science"

9.scene saved in binary format could be distributed easily together with the framebuffer executable as it's own benchmark scene without worrying of people stealing assets, textures, etc..

Maybe there's more, I don't know...

I know this is probably a huge undertaking. But blender (or other DCC) should only be a scene setup tool for luxcore and everything downstream from rendering should be handled by luxcore imho...
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

All correct..but how do you live a standalone framebuffer with the DCC integration for rendered viewport preview?
You should do the double work...or the DCC should give the opportunity to integrate the custom framebuffer inside it's interface.

Or am I wrong?