Better Clamping in Luxcore

Discussion related to the Engine functionality, implementations and API.
lacilaci
Donor

Re: Better Clamping in Luxcore

Post by lacilaci » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:07 am

I agree that the results of clamping in octane work way more predictable with little to worry about.
It's also interesting how you got very fast rendering even without rtx version, but I guess cuda always wins agaisnt opencl.

Sharlybg
Donor

Post by Sharlybg » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:56 am

The PDF based clamping is an old JeanPhi's idea, he tried an implementation based on local vertex path clamping and it didn't worked well however I think the idea may work if considering the complete path PDF.
Can this be doable in the near futur ? want to battle Octane with right feature ;)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA

kintuX

Post by kintuX » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:23 pm

About Clarisse IFX Clamping:
Since Clarisse 4.0 SP5, the path tracer offers a novel method to reduce considerably fireflies in renders. For more information please refer to the Fireflies Filtering section.
It's been developed in-house and no papers or other technicalities have been revealed yet.

About Octane GI Clamping (@ OTOY forums), I suspect it uses the method that Dade mentioned. Looks much alike or it's even the same to that used in VRay, ProRender, Corona... :?:

lacilaci
Donor

Post by lacilaci » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:53 am

I wonder if simply clamping only secondary bounces would help luxcore better.

lacilaci
Donor

Post by lacilaci » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:57 am

And another though. Since photonGI isn't clamped at all, using low clamping with and without photonGI can give drastically different lighting. So if we could get clamping less affecting overal scene lighting we could also have more consistent results when using or not GI caching.