Triplanar mapping / stochastic texturing

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
patrickawalz
Supporting Users

Re: Triplanar mapping / stochastic texturing

Post by patrickawalz »

The author of the technique byob shared is the same developer who wrote the tangent space normal mapping standard we use in lux. He has actually posted a new method that is state of the art. It also allows mixing of bump and normal maps, and to my knowledge doesn't require uvs.

He also provides source code.

https://mmikkelsen3d.blogspot.com/p/3d- ... s.html?m=1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

I thought I would do a simple cube projection UV's but that also ruins bump mapping quite a bit.
cubeproject.jpg
bump simply needs a good proper unwrap, or seam will show.
unwrap.jpg
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

lacilaci wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:54 am I thought I would do a simple cube projection UV's but that also ruins bump mapping quite a bit.
I was thinking the same... but if it's not solving and it needs a correct Unwrap...well we loose the meaning of triplanar mapping.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

marcatore wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:28 am
lacilaci wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:54 am I thought I would do a simple cube projection UV's but that also ruins bump mapping quite a bit.
I was thinking the same... but if it's not solving and it needs a correct Unwrap...well we loose the meaning of triplanar mapping.
well, triplanar works. Bump mapping has issues
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

ok..but today..is very strange to use just diffuse and not bump...so if you use triplanar mapping for diffuse and not for bump mapping..it's not the best...or am I missing something?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

marcatore wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:54 am ok..but today..is very strange to use just diffuse and not bump...so if you use triplanar mapping for diffuse and not for bump mapping..it's not the best...or am I missing something?
Yes, I'm just stating that this issue is not because of triplanar not working. It's because bump mapping needs good UV's.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Understood but it still a big problem...in my opinion.

Dade, you say that you need a "space" to reference the axis...but why object space or world space is not suitable?
I know that it's not so useful but I've checked the Vray implementation and they have 2 mode: local space or reference node.
If you set reference node and you don't set any reference object, it uses the world space.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:43 am Dade, you say that you need a "space" to reference the axis...but why object space or world space is not suitable?
It is not an object "space" but the intersection point "space" (i.e. Z along the point normal, etc.).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

patrickawalz wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:22 am The author of the technique byob shared is the same developer who wrote the tangent space normal mapping standard we use in lux. He has actually posted a new method that is state of the art. It also allows mixing of bump and normal maps, and to my knowledge doesn't require uvs.

However this looks like a totally new framework and it would require to change all bump map related code including all textures and materials. It is a lot of work.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:41 am
patrickawalz wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:22 am The author of the technique byob shared is the same developer who wrote the tangent space normal mapping standard we use in lux. He has actually posted a new method that is state of the art. It also allows mixing of bump and normal maps, and to my knowledge doesn't require uvs.

However this looks like a totally new framework and it would require to change all bump map related code including all textures and materials. It is a lot of work.
And from the examples shown, skin bump aside, it doesn't look that great.

Some simplified approximation isn't possible for cases of no uv present? Just to have a better fallback than weird looking shading. Combined with a warning in blender it could be "good enough"